1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP hacked?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Llamas, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Llamas

Llamas Thread Starter

I might be a little paranoid about this, but there have been a lot of google searches happening on my account that I haven't made. About a month ago, gmail emailed me telling me that there was an anauthorized attempt at my account from china so in had changed my password and it is very secure. But in the past month there have been many google searches that in haven't made. Many of them are opening several pages in a matter of a few minutes. Is there anything that I can do to stop this or keep it from happening again? Would changing browser help?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

How do you know that there were many google searches from your PC ? Is it from your browser's history feature? Which browser are you using ?

3. Llamas

Llamas Thread Starter

It came up with my Firefox browser history.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Googling with your Firefox can only be done by sitting in front of your PC. Unless you allow remote access like Remote Assistance or Remote Desktop. And Remote Desktop is only available on Win7 Pro and up.

To disable Remote Assistance. Right click on Computer, choose Properties. Click on Advanced System Settings. Remote Tab, Un-Check Allow Remote Assistance.

To disable Remote Desktop, go to Control Panel, View by Small Icons. Administrative Tools > Services > Scroll to Remote Desktop Configuration, right click choose Properties and change Startup Type to Disabled. Do the same for Remote Desktop Services.

Aside from Windows' built in remote access software, there are many free and commercial programs that does that function. They include VNC, TeamViewer, GoToMyPC, PCAnywhere, Logmein, So check if you have any of these installed. If you have it installed but don't use it, then un-install it.

Do you lock your room door when you leave ? Physical security is very much part of security and many people overlook that.

5. Llamas

Llamas Thread Starter

I do have remote access on my Mac. I was trying to run boot camp while all of this was happening so I think that's how it all started. I'm going to disable remote access and I have a very strong password that is needed to access my computer at all now. Thanks!!!

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

However, the remote access on your Mac side cannot access your Windows side. When you boot up, you choose which to run - Mac or Windows.

I hope you are running a legit Windows, not some pirated bittorrent copy of Windows. Because it is hackers who seed those Windows DVD and they embed their hacking tools/back-doors in the image.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice