1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ip help pleaze

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Hossman0208, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hossman0208

Hossman0208 Thread Starter

running windows xp on home p.c ad probs connecting to internet after lot of help from fellow colleague managed to find ip adresss for it but i dont know how to put on tried system properties but to no avail anyone out there that could help i would gr8ly appreciate many thanks anticipating many replies....

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't understand what the problem is. Try restating it using whole sentences.

3. Hossman0208

Sorry, the message should read:

Running Windows XP, had some trouble with Viruses which i'm hoping is now sorted. One problem though, I cannot get internet access.

I have rebooted my modem (which seems to be working fine as my wife's laptop has internet). I had PC Guard (blueyonder) which was causing problems, so i uninstalled it. Since then, I have not got internet. I have tried to reinstall PC Guard but it cannot find a server and will not install.

I have just installed Panda Antivirus, Ad-Aware and Spybot (this won't work, as the computer is saying it is not installed)

I have also been checking my Task Manager, and on startup I have been getting 100% CPU. This seems to be due to: smvalid.exe, which I delete and my CPU drops to 3%-4%. Everytime i restart, smvalid.exe is back.

Please can someone help. If you need any more information please let me know.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may have eliminated viruses, but now you apparently have spyware problems. See this and other articles on smvalid.exe.

Suggest you read the sticky thread(s) at the beginning of the Malware Removal forum and then post a HijackThis log there and wait for help.

After they give you a clean bill of health run the following repairs and report back here. We'll be waiting.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. Hossman0208

hi guys,thank you for your reply to the problems i had.
    Unfortunatley still dont have any internet access you mention about malware forum but because im new to computer world unsure where to find answer,s.

i mentioned i had spybot (search and destroy) but wont work also spyware blaster installed but still dont work.

I've checked system's seems IP all ok now but Internet explorer not working.

As last resort thought try system restore but tried 4 different date's and nothing is working i'm at my wits end please help.

many thanks wayne.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At the very top of this page the second word on the second line is "Forums." That is already expanded on the 3rd line, where the 1st category is "Security & HJT." Hover your mouse pointer over that and you will see that the first listed forum is "Malware Removal & HJT Logs." That is what I meant by the abbreviated "Malware Forum."

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice