1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Phone Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rainy.City1991, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rainy.City1991

Rainy.City1991 Thread Starter

I have just recently been given a free Mitel 5312 IP Phone from a friend of mine that had an extra one from his business. I want to utilize it with my new home office. However, I'm having some issues getting it setup.

Here is what I ideally wanted the setup to be due to the location of my office computer. I setup the network on the computer itself to be a bridge where it's connected through a wireless adapter so I could connect an ethernet cable (Cat 5e) to the back of the computer and it act as a LAN line out to the phone.

The PoE injector that came with the phone has the 1 ports for the LAN and then another out to the phone. I plugged the cable from the computer into the correct port and then the other cable into the back of the phone. This causes the lights on the injector to flash from amber to green. This also causes the phone itself to flash all of its lights for a fraction of a second and then right back off indefinitely over and over again.

I thought it may have been where I was using the computer as a bridge but I even tried directly from the router and it did the same thing where it just flashed over and over again.

I took the phone to my friend's business and asked to use one of their existing phones to swap out to see if it is the phone or the network. When I plugged the phone up to his network, the phone turned on without any problems at all. I used the same PoE injector and everything. So it has to be with my network that needs setup properly for the phone to completely boot.

What are the steps I need to take with my router or anything at all to set this phone up. I mean step by step and help guide me. I'm good with computers but not excellent. It's just the one phone I'm trying to set up. I've looked everywhere online and I either find something that doesn't make sense or doesn't apply. This is driving me crazy. From what I read online, there maybe something to do with firewall ports or adjustments to the router's settings. I just need to know exactly what.

I have the latest version of Windows 10.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Unless you have some sort of call manager, you're not going to be able to use that phone. Based on the available information I can find, this looks like a SIP phone. What you're seeing when you attempt to boot the phone on your network is the Mitel looking for a DHCP server to get an IP address. In addition to pulling the IP address, it's probably looking for a TFTP server. The reason why it is looking for a TFTP server is to download the config file with information such as what the IP address of the call manager is. Once the IP phone gets the IP address of the call manager, it will attempt to register with the call manager. When the registration is complete, the phone is now fully operational and you're able to place and receive calls. The phone also may download any new firmware from the TFTP server. Many times the TFTP server is the same as the call manager.

What I described above is typical for most VoIP systems and how the Cisco IP phone system I have implemented in my house works.

If you are really intent on getting the Mitel functional and you want to keep costs to a minimum, you need to research setting up an Asterix/Trixbox. I did one of these a long time ago until I got my Cisco 1861 router which has a built in Call Manager Express. Depending on your phone service, you may have to pay for a SIP trunk from a Telco provider if you don't have a regular analog/POTS line. If you do have a regular analog phone line from your Telco, you'll need to buy a FXO card to allow your call manager (in this case the Asterix/Trixbox) to be able to place and receive calls over the analog line. An example of a manufacturer of these cards is Digium; which I also used in my Asterix/Trixbox.

You'll learn a lot by doing a project like this, but it's not easy. There's a reason why there are people who specialize in designing and deploying VoIP systems.

3. Rainy.City1991

Rainy.City1991 Thread Starter

Thank you! I looked into TrixBox and I'm downloading the ISO now to burn to a disk and boot the computer from. This may sound silly, but it does say it's an operating system so should I use one of my spare computers to install TrixBox to and connect to the network or can it work with my current computer and I still be able to use it for my other business purposes as well.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Trixbox is a stripped down custom Linux build. When you boot off the iso, it'll want to format the hard drive and install itself onto it. You need to make sure your hardware is on the compatibility list for Trixbox.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice