1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP problem on individual networked PC's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ytnite, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ytnite

ytnite Thread Starter

G'day,

i've been having a problem obtaining indiviual ip address of individual computers on my home network... i run dsl through a router... the ip i get is that of my router...

the main problem is connecting to the individual PC's from the net.. ie: cannont find the server..

i want to host things from one of the pc's as an internet server ie:an internet game server, But the ip's i get arn't the real ip's...and nobody can connect to the server i'm hosting... Does anybody know how to fix this...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to open ports in the router's firewall to allow systems behind the firewall to receive server requests. Can you start with the make/model of the router, as well as the O/S versions in use?

The reason the IP addresses of your local computers are not the same as your DSL public address is the NAT layer that allows you to have multiple computers using a single public IP address.

3. ytnite

ytnite Thread Starter

router is : Linksys WRT54G wireless router
    my O/S : Windows XP Home

4. ytnite

ytnite Thread Starter

hello ??

5. coulterp

coulterp

You need to set-up the port-forwarding (opening ports) as already noted in the thread. I believe, if you look through your routers doumentation, that Linksys normally refer to this as setting up a "virtual server".

You need to find out the ports that the application uses and forward these on the router to the local (i.e NAT.ed) IP address of the PC you wish to run the server.

From the point of view of external folks trying to get into your server then they only need to know your external IP address and the router forwards as necessary. However, is your public (external) IP address a static or a dynamic IP address? If the former then only the IP address needs to be known to get through. But if a dynamic IP address, well that changes (as the names suggests! :) ) and so you would need to look into using a Dynamic DNS service (such as offered free at www.dyndns.org or www.noip.com). This will allow your users to refer to your service by a defined name and they need never know or care what the IP address is (as it keeps changing anyway).

6. ytnite

ytnite Thread Starter

my ip is dynamic... ok since this is so, would i still need to do all this :

"You need to set-up the port-forwarding (opening ports) as already noted in the thread. I believe, if you look through your routers doumentation, that Linksys normally refer to this as setting up a "virtual server".

You need to find out the ports that the application uses and forward these on the router to the local (i.e NAT.ed) IP address of the PC you wish to run the server."

or can i just go ahead and set up the dynamic dns service .. ??

7. coulterp

coulterp

You need to set up the dynanic DNS service AND the port-forwarding.
    The first just gets your external users as far as your router.
    The second gets them thru your router to the PC (and ports) you set up in the port-forwarding.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice