1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IP Routing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by routesupport, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. routesupport

routesupport Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have just received IP’s from APNIC . Sample IP Block is 192.168.176.0/20 (192.168.176.0-192.168.191.255). I want to release my upstream IP’s. also want to divide IP Like 16 and 32 for my customer. Pls let me know how can I do this and how can I put my IP’s in my router. My router is Cisco 3600 with 1 Ethernet and 1 serial Interface.
    Pls. Let me know how can I do this.

2. hermes

hermes

Hi

To split the address space up you will need to adjust the subnet mask for your address block.

You say you want to divide 16 or 32. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I take it you want to break it up into blocks of 16 addresses. Is that right?

If you do, use the address mask 255.255.255.240

If you use this mask, your first subnet will be

192.168.176.0-15
    Then
    192.168.176.16-31
    Then
    192.168.176.32-63
    And so on until you reach
    Then
    192.168.177.0-31
    etc etc

Remember that the first and last addresses are unusable, so:

192.168.176.16 is the subnet address for the second subnet. 192.168.176.31 will be the broadcast address for this subnet

This renders a lot of addresses unusable, which is the price paid for subnetting.

I am a bit confused about what you mean by entering the addresses into your router. If you mean applying an address to an interface, let me know. If you mean how to build routing tables for all this, also let me know. The first may be a bit easier to explain.

3. rimzan

rimzan

hello herms,

u seems u r a pro with routers and ip i too have a problem with my router im running a small scale internet cafe with 6 mechines im using cisco 805 with a lesed line link. my problem is i had some knid of trafic or attack coming to my router and make it bussy this started when sobigF hit the net now its gone so does my problem but still lil of that trafic still remains. for every few mintues router is bussy i sense it by routers TXD and RXD leds both keep blinsks at same time even thoug no one is using internet or all my computers are fully shutdown router alone bussy.
    do u have any idea about this or can u sugest me any softwear to monitor my router activites im not a pro with routers.

thanks in advance

rimzan

4. routesupport

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply and advice.
    I am a bit confused about what you mean by entering the addresses into your router. If you mean applying an address to an interface, let me know.
    If you mean how to build routing tables for all this, also let me know. The first may be a bit easier to explain.
    Acutely I want the applying address to interface and also routing table. To working 192.168.176.17 –192.168.176.30 and 192.168.177.33-192.168.177.62 range IP what do I do in Router. Pls let me know the step by step router command to do this.

My upstream already advertise allocated block (192.168.176.0-192.168.191.255) , so what have to do my side (Router) to working allocated IP with subnetted that I mention earlier ? I already prepare a IP plan for deploy my network. But I don’t know how can I start. I request you to please assist me how can I do this.

Thanks again.

5. hermes

hermes

Hi routesupport

What routing protocol are you using? Let me know and show me a diagram of your planned network and i'll be better placed to help.

You only enter a single IP address on an interface (usually) and let the router advertise the route to the other addresses through its routing protocol.

Hi Rimzan

You may still have a machine carrying a trojan, this sounds likely if you are running an internet cafe and getting problems like this.
    I would try the advice here:

http://www.auburn.edu/oit/support/students/virus/ht_remove_sobigf.php

I found this advice easy to use.

Also, try downloading a trojan removing tool from zdnet.Do you have a login to the Cisco site? If so there is advice and tools on there for sobig etc. It could be that this activity is innocent keep-alives between the router and its peer, so don't panic about it.

6. routesupport

Hi,
    we r only using tcp/ip . i attached netdiagram.

Attached Files:

7. hermes

hermes

What is it you want to do? You must be running some sort of routing protocol on the routers there to advertise routes to the network.

I think you need to gather a lot more information for this job. Do you manage the network currently?

If all you want to do is tell the inside network that the IP addresses you mention are available add an entry to your routing table telling it that network 192.168.177.16 255.255.255.240 is connected to the router.

8. routesupport

Hi,
    sorry for misunderstanding........ ok. is the protocol RIP-1/RIP-2 ok for this network. please let me know the router command to advertise my IP block.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!