IP Routing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hyper X

Hey guys i'm not sure whether anyone knows anything abou this but i'll give it a shot.

I have a Cisco 3845 router and a 4255 IPS behind it the i run one cisco Catylist 2960 switch behind the IPS with 2 servers connected to that switch.

Now what i want to do is assign a public to each of these servers like you get with a dedicated server that you rent. For example on a dedicated Windows server you go into the netwrok properties and the adaptor address is the public IP of your server that is what i am wanting to do. Mu servers are Windows Server 2003.

Any help would really be appreciated.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not going to happen....unless you get a range of public addresses large enough to further subdivide it with a subnet mask which would make the range of public addresses you get into two independent networks. Your problem is the 3845. It's a router and by definition needs to route traffic between two different networks/subnets. If you get just 2 static public addresses, there's not enough addresses there to further divide up to make two different subnets. Plus you'll possibly need a third for the router itself...depends on how clean you want this to be.

Now you can and probably should, NAT the 2 publics down to the servers. You would set up 2 static one to one NATs. I'm not familiar with the 4255 IPS so I'm not sure if it's just a bump in the wire or if it actually routes packets after it inspects the traffic. Regardless, you should just run your private IP address scheme behind the 3845 router. You should be doing something like that anyways. You didn't give any info on how your network behind the 3845 is addressed.

Hyper X

I mean i am just getting some information on potential hardware i need i have the 3845 but i have about 20 places i can use it so its not a problem if i made a wrong choice there. Would this work if i had about 50 public IPs and and instead of a 3845 would i be looking for something more along the lines of a switch?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes, you can make it work if you had 50 publics. But you might want to make your 50 publics in a multiple which is divisible by the number of addresses set by your subnet mask. 52 publics with a /30 (2 hosts, 1 network, and 1 broadcast) would give 13 total networks. The choice of hardware would depend on what you're trying to do. If you don't care about exposing your servers to the internet, then a simple switch would suffice provided your ISP handoff is an ethernet connection. If you are using a WAN connection like a T1, then you'll need a router and a HWIC card for that 3845. Another option could also be an ASA 5510 and up. The ASA 5500 1U chassis' have the ability to use the IPS SSM-10 module which will give you the IDS stuff you're looking for in one chassis. But the ASAs do not have provisions to connect up to WAN links. Only ethernet drops.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online