IP will not renew

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrjag

Hi all: First post here, but have been poring over lots of threads here for some time. I’ve been struggling with my wireless connection for almost two weeks, could sure use your help.

Setup: Win XP Pro > SBC DSL > Westell modem > D-Link 624 router (NIC Intel Pro100)

System installed easily, and has performed flawlessly for about three months. Two weeks ago the power was disconnected inadvertently from the router, lost internet connectivity altogether.

A couple of hours with an SBC tech got me back up with a connection (through WAN PPPoE Miniport), but no-go on wireless ever since. LAN connection says ‘Limited connectivity’. ‘Repair’ will not renew the IP address.

Here’s a printout of ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D8LQRZ61
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-EA-37-15
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.99.154
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Lite-On Communications Compatable PC
I Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-F0-5B-F9-78

PPP adapter sbcdsl:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.231.202.185
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.231.202.185
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.94.156.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Here’s what I’ve tried so far (after cables and connections):
1. Update router firmware
2. Hard reset
3. Reconfigure (I can see the router and change settings, but doesn’t help)
4. Check DNS enabled
5. ipconfig release/renew
6. Install XP patch XXXX and update registry
7. Netsh winsock reset catalog
8. Uninstall/reinstall TCP/IP
9. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
10. Disable WinXP and personal firewalls (TechMicro)
11. [Suspect corrupt Winsock], so Delete Winsock and Winsock 2, reboot
12. Install TCP/IP protocol, reboot
13. netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
14. ipconfig /flushdns
15. ipconfig /sfc scannow

Any/all assistance sincerely appreciated. Please save me from having to reinstall Windows!

Buy a new wireless router? Radioshack has a nice Linksys Wireless 5 port cable/DSL router for $39.00.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
So your router can has an IP address for WAN, can you connect to it via wired?

This is not a Windows Problem

jrjag

Sorry. Meant to say that I am running direct through the DSL modem, because cannot get a wireless connection through the router. I will try doing a wired connection tonight.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
You were meant to try to connect via wired connection on your router... :)

jrjag

Tried that, but no change. BTW, I have a program called Network Magic that maps the network. With the router connected, NM maps both the desktop and the laptop, so there is some kind of wireless communication between them. It shows the broken connection to be between the desktop and the router. Can I infer that the problem is not the router? What next? Replace the cables even though they seem to be fine?

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
I would suspect the router if you cannot get a solid connection if you are wired. The only other solution is one of the network cards. I noticed you have two network cards. I assume the INTEL one is your onboard one, what is the LITE-ON nic used for?

If you have a cross-over cable, try connecting the two machines together directly. (No router) Also give them an alternate IP, which is the second tab of the connection properties, of 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 respectively (subnet mask is 255.255.255.0) If you experience any loss of network connectivity, then it will be one of the NIC cards.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
:) ignore me, I wasn't reading the post... :)

jrjag

Sorry, guys, been traveling for the last week.

Just tried a couple more things:
- Ran Ad-Aware, and Spybot
- New CAT5 cables
- Uninstall/reinstall antivirus (Trend Micro PC Cillin)
- [Suspecting bad router] Bought a new router, and attempted re-install.

All no change, still cannot connect through router, but can connect directly though DSL modem (although the connection indicates 'limited connectivity' and seems quite slow at 10 Mbps).

Next I'm going to try:
- Taking the laptop to a hotspot to test wireless connectivity.
- Connecting the laptop and the desktop together to see if I might have a NIC problem.

Any other ideas?

Looks like you tried EVERYTHING. Rereading this post does seem like it's your NIC. You seem like a smart guy who knows his stuff. Get back to me pls :)

jrjag

Thanks for the complement, Matt, but completely undeserved. This is the second time I've gone through this (different computer, though). Last time I paid a tech almost $400 to fix the problem, but after he left I hadn't really learned anything to help myself the next time. I may be crazy, but I'm determined to figure this out (with the able assistance of those on this board) and not feel so completely helpless.

BTW- I went to Bob Cerrelli's site and learned a lot there. His step-by-step diagnosis process is very helpful, I highly recommend it. It occurs to me that I've never done the most basic ping tests that will identify a faulty NIC. If that doesn't help I may try a Repair Install of XP, but I really think any Winsock issues have been resolved...

Its not a winsock issue because you can get raw data from the net via your dsl modem so rule it out (feel free to slap me if im wrong)! did u try the manual set up nic to nic? if so could you ping each pc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online