1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iPad 2 sometimes unable to open Pages documents

Discussion in 'Apple Mobile Devices' started by Al_Ciao, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Today, when I tried to open a document in the Pages app on my iPad2, the message popped up, "[File name] cannot be opened for some reason," and it suggested I restore an earlier version. I tried to restore a version from a few minutes before that, and it didn't work either; I wasn't willing to try restoring anything earlier.

Fortunately I was at home, and on my desktop I was able to open the document in iCloud. Editing the document there then allowed me to open it on the iPad2 again after it updated.

Then it happened again, on a different document. Same issue as before.

I note that, if I open the document on my desktop via iCloud without editing it, that doesn't let me open it up on iPad2 again; only if I edit it on desktop does it then allow me to open it up on iPad2 again.

Also, I noticed both times that this error happened when I opened a document within 5 minutes of having previously edited it (after it'd already updated to the cloud).

Also, both times, the updates I had just made to the document on iPad2 had successfully uploaded to cloud, because when I opened the documents on my desktop, I saw the updates.

So apparently this is something on my iPad2's end, rather than an issue with the cloud itself.

Turning the iPad2 off for 20 seconds and then back on didn't resolve the issue. Reinstalling the Pages app didn't solve the issue either.

While I am home at the moment, and could presumably solve it the way I solved it before - by opening the document up on my desktop and editing it there - this is an untenable solution for when I am out of the house.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello!

Did you ever figure out a solution for the messages you were receiving?

3. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

I did not, unfortunately. Do you have any insights, please? :) Thanks for posting!

4. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    So this "file" can be viewed and manipulated on your home computer. What application does the home computer use to open this file?

Can you take the file and save in a different format (.pdf instead of .doc; or visa versa)?

Can you tap "..." on the file and get it to show options? Maybe choose another app to open it or save it out as a different file?

5. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

I didn't realize you could open other file types in Pages! But I tried it out, using an .rtf file, and the same issue occurs, I am unable to open it on my iPad2 after editing it.

By the way, on my desktop I am accessing my Pages files through the iCloud on my internet browser. It doesn't change the file type that Pages uses (I'm not sure what Pages' default file type is for that matter), merely allows me to open it and edit in the browser.

Anyways, I'm pretty flummoxed. I don't have any other word processing apps on my iPad2 (save the default Notes app), and if I were to get another one, it would need some sort of cloud function so I could access it from my desktop as well.

6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    I totally understand. When you are on your home desk computer and you access the file, what application does the home computer use to open/view it?

7. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

I use my internet browser, Firefox. I go to icloud.com, sign in, and open Pages, and it opens up any files I click on in a new tab. All in the browser.

EDIT: I don't know if it matters, but my home desk computer is a Windows 7 PC, not a Mac.

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello there!

My sincere apologies... but I really don't know what is happening. I just tried on my own Ipad. I created a document on my Ipad, and edited from the Icloud; and visa versa. There were no issues, and worked seamless.

I did notice that the document had to "upload" from the Icloud when I accessed it through Pages. So if your signal is weak/ no internet access, that may be causing an issue. I have Pages version 4.2; the cellular data tab is chosen, and Icloud drive is chosen as the document storage.

9. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

It's alright :) After not receiving any replies from anyone else for a few days, I figured it was a weird enough issue that no one really knew.

Yes, it still uploads the update; when I access the file on my desktop browser, it shows the edits I made on the ipad.

This is a new issue btw; I've been using Pages on this ipad without issue for 3 or 4 years now.

For now, I'm working around it, by not making edits to Pages files on my ipad, but instead in the Notes app, and then transferring from Notes to Pages on my desktop app when I get home.

I'm saving up for a new modern iPad as well; hopefully this is just an issue with my iPad2 being old, lol.

Again, thanks for your help :)

Drabdr likes this.
  10. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Well... I'm sorry I wasn't much help. I do know that my son said that there have been several reported issues with Apple products after the last OS rollout. Maybe that is one of them.

Another option... store the documents in Google docs as opposed to the Icloud.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice