1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*iPad* Best programming ebook/website/video series for a new person?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Bonecrusher123, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

hey guys, i used to program back in high school using HTML and VB6, but this was 10 years ago so i'm for the most part, starting from scratch.

i'm really eager to try developing for the iPad and was wondering a high quality ebook for me to read to help me along. when i wanted to improve my writing and came across a book called 'writing well' and it was a great general guide to writing. something like 'writing well' that helps me to think like a programmer or just something specific for the iPad would be great. are there any books out there that could help me think more like a programmer?

how long would it take for me to become a great iPad programmer if i focused on it full time?

i came across this list of books that are specific for the iPad, which ones would you recommend i read?:

--- Advanced iOS 4 Programming: Developing Mobile Applications for Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (2010) by Maher Ali

--- iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners by Apress

--- http://www.appdevsecrets.com

--- Complete Idiots Guide to iPad and iPhone App Development by Penguin

--- http://www.appsumo.com/dive-into-ios/

thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

3. Bonecrusher123

ok, thanks.

so that site will have everything i need to develop for the ipad?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That and a modern Mac computer.

5. Bonecrusher123

oh ok. thanks

that was going to my next question. is it 'try out' iPad development on the PC? i have win7.

6. Bonecrusher123

what intro video to iPad development can someone recommend me i look into before buying a Mac?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You cannot develop or "try" to develop iOS applications on Windows. You also need a fairly new Mac because it needs to be running Lion.

Did you read all the information at the link I posted? Apple/Mac is a completely different environment than the Microsoft/Windows world. I suggest you read what Apple has on their site before you troll the wider web.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

One of my co-workers is a pretty decent programmer and him and his buddies started doing iOS development about 6 months ago. This is 3 guys working in their spare time and weekends and they are still going at it 6 months later developing a solid app for iOS. These guys have recent programming degrees as well. This may be a steep learning curve for you.

9. Bonecrusher123

ok thanks i'm still reading.

10. Bonecrusher123

hey guys, is it worth getting a book dedicated to the iPad? everything seems to be iphone/ipad and not just the ipad. should i be concerned with this?

what are some books people could recommend? is there another place online that has discussions about this?

thanks

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I would suggest you consider your investment here. You already have to buy a Mac, which is going to cost several hundred dollars. Then you need to spend $99 to become an Apple developer. Apple has a lot of resources available for free on their site. Read everything there and see how comfortable you are with Objective C. iPads and iPhones run exactly the same operating system.

Spend some time in Apple developer forums talking through the process with people who have been there and done that. I get the feeling you're taking the "old school" approach to this where you go out and buy books on a subject and spend the next 6 months reading and not much time coding.

12. Bonecrusher123

13. Bonecrusher123

ya, you're right. i was thinking the exact same thing regarding making the investment to buy the Mac as well as spending the $99 for the developer license.

is there anything out there that can give me an idea if iOS is for me or not? i came across this earlier which supposedly allows Windows users to create iOS apps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr32FxxFkj4&feature=player_embedded#!

it's called mobione. have you heard of it?

14. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So you really aren't learning to program for iOS with this tool set.

15. Bonecrusher123

oh, ok thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!