1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ipad used by other family member

Discussion in 'Apple Mobile Devices' started by dogluver, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Sorry for all the questions today. But, my searches on my own aren't helping. Someone in my family is pretty much the only one who uses my ipad. I have an iphone and all her stuff (notes, messages, etc) are being sent to my phone. I tried to stop syncing, but yesterday she received a text message and I never got it. I have no idea how this happened. She wants her own icloud account. Is this possible since she uses the same wifi as I do and we both have apple devices? Oh, both devices are in my name with my email address. Or can she get her own icloud account with her own email address? She's so afraid that she will lose some very important info. I looked on her ipad and it appears all the notes are on my icloud account and her ipad. What do you suggest I do? Thanks again for any help you can offer. I'm sorry for all my endless questions.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes she can have her own icloud account.
    from a browser she can log into
    icloud.com
    create an account using her email address NOT your she needs an email address of her own
    I would also recommend using a mobile number as a recovery device - when it asks for a mobile
    Also make sure you know the security questions and answers , without these you may find it difficult to get support from Apple

Now on the ipad
    you need to logout of your icloud and save everything to the ipad , contacts etc , when asked
    now she vsn log in with her own apple ID

Before you do this , you should perhaps Backup the Device onto a PC , so that you have a separate backup of the ipad rather than on your Icloud
    Also Space - Do you pay for icloud space ? If so then you may have to share some of the space with her email address , depending on how much storage she uses on icloud already
    5GB is free - BUT if you have Photo Library enabled , then a lot of space will be uses as icloud then takes into account photo size

whats the very important info

Notes, then make a copy of each note and email it to her
    Open each of the note - select all - the text of that note , copy - and then paste into an email or word document and save/backup
    repeat for each note

Its possible to lose all the data at anytime - always worth having a backup

I have had to untangle a few families with iphones and ipads using the same icloud and other IDs, like amazon music, etc
    can be quite time consuming and some things will stay with the original ID only

3. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. You explained everything very clearly!! I know it's a lot of work, but knowing what to do helps! I'm going to email all the notes, but what's the best way to back up the ipad? I haven't had any luck with itunes. Can never find anything after I attempt to back up. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've used google to save all of my pictures. That has worked great. Thanks again for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice