1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IPconfig issue? (sorry about the length)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sashurst, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sashurst

sashurst Thread Starter

I have two desktops running XP pro. I am connected to the internet via Verizon DSL with a Fujitsu Speedport modem. I had been using a Linksys wireless broadband router to connect to the DSL modem and ran my two computers (via hardwire, rather than the wireless mode) as a home network off of the router, manually setting the IP addresses for the PCs off of the router (192.168.1.XX). I replaced the Linksys router with a 3Com OfficeConnect Dual Speed Switch 5 because I didn't want to use the wireless network anymore. Initially the 3Com wouldn't allow me to connect to the internet; then after talking with Verizon, they said to shut down the modem and the switch, allow two hours for the Verizon network server to lose the MAC address of the router, then turn the modem back on and the 3Com, so the server would pick up the MAC address of the 3Com. I then turned one of my PCs back on and it was able to sync up thru the 3Com and go out on the internet - picking up the IP address from the network. However, the NIC card in my second PC will not pick up an IP from the network, instead taking it internally from XP. When I try releasing and renewing with IPCONFIG, it comes back and says it can't contact the DHCP server and I get a limited or no connectivity message from the Local Area Connection icon, even though it says it's connected at 100Mbs.

What I don't understand is why my first PC takes it's IP off the network, but the second one doesn't? I've tried using winsockXPfix.exe, deleting the NIC card from the system and reinstalling, shutting down the DSL modem and the switch and restarting it again with just my second PC plugged in, but nothing seems to make this 2nd PC take the IP address off the network - it always comes up with a 169.254 internal address. The same problem occurs with my brother-in-law's laptop when I plug it into the 3Com. Does the 3Com switch only allow one PC to obtain an IP from the network? If so, do I need to set my one PC up as a server or something like that and have the other take it's address from it? Any help would be much appreciated here. Thanks!

Steve

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy sashurst...

There's your problem a switch can't asighn an IP address, where as the Liknsys router can act as a DHCP server and asign an IP address...

Don't know what their talking about here as a switch doesn't have a MAC address...

3. sashurst

sashurst Thread Starter

Thanks J_M, I appreciate the answer, and I think I understand. With the switch, the Verizon network server is actually taking the MAC address off of the PC that was connected, and thus the PC is taking the IP from the server. When my second, or subsequent PCs are attached, they can't get the IP from the network because the server out there isn't seeing them - only the first one. What I need to do is figure out how to network my other PC to the first one, so that it takes it's address from the first PC - does that sound right? Does anyone have advice about how to accomplish this? If not, I'll go back to the router and use it (even though it isn't as good as the switch for throughput). Thanks!

Steve

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

Unless you request multiple IP's from your ISP, the best bet would be the router...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice