Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPhone 6s won't accept valid Hotmail acct password

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tom Seeley 
#1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this request for help because it involves my wife's iPhone 6s (Apple) and her Hotmail account (Microsoft). I'll start here.

My wife has a Hotmail account which she accesses via Outlook on our Dell desktop running windows 8.1 and Firefox.

Last week, her Hotmail acct may have been hacked. She got a message from Hotmail saying she was locked out of it. She had to answer some of their questions to prove her identity to them before they'd give her a temp password to get into her account, where she would then have to create a new password. She did this and she can access her Hotmail account properly on our desktop computer.

But when she tried to change her password on her iPhone 6s, in the Mail app, for some reason it is not working. She gets error messages on her phone saying her Hotmail account password is not valid. She is positive she has entered it correctly in her Mail app settings on the phone, but we cannot figure what's wrong and what to do about it.

Can anyone please suggest what we should try? What other info should I find out about her accounts and post here, to help anyone help us diagnose this issue?

One thing I thought of, that I will not tell her to try unless I'm positive it won't make a bad situation worse: Could she simply delete her Hotmail account settings on her iPhone now, and just recreate a new Hotmail account from scratch on her iPhone, entering the supposedly new, correct Hotmail password? That would not do any damage to the real Hotmail account on whatever servers it's on, would it? The iPhone Mail app settings are simply a group of settings that the phone uses to establish contact with her actual Hotmail account, isn't it? So deleting and recreating it shouldn't mess up the actual Hotmail acct, I'd think.

As always, all thanks in advance for any and all help rendered!

See less See more
#2 ·
Could she simply delete her Hotmail account settings on her iPhone now, and just recreate a new Hotmail account from scratch on her iPhone, entering the supposedly new, correct Hotmail password?
Certainly what I would try. And I cannot think how that could make things worse. But, no guarantees; after all, shouldn't be having this password issue anyhow!

But before doing anything else I'd wait a day (24 hours) at least after the password was changed. I vaguely recall some people having trouble with a Microsoft account (which would include Hotmail) trying to login to Windows 10 until a day or two after the password was changed.

#3 ·
Problem solved. Delete/recreate worked.

Interesting: Her original Hotmail acct showed up on her iPhone as a "Hotmail" account, but when we recreated it, it showed up as an "Outlook" account. Several of the advanced settings were different. But it all works so what difference does it make!? :LOL:

#4 ·
you may have been migrated
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/outlookcommigrationinfo.htm
If you log into the account using a web browser
you may see outlook.com at the top left - thats the old system , that hotmail migrated to
but the new system has a different logo
Outlook Mail

When this migration takes place - some client programs that access the email server will need to be removed and re-instated for the email system to work

OR
it may have just been a glitch - which can happen

#5 ·
Yes, etaf, I think that is what happened. Delete/recreate solved the pblm. Thx for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.