1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iPhone Contacts and Messages

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by RJCaldwell, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RJCaldwell

RJCaldwell Thread Starter

Using Windows XP, where does iTunes store the backed-up iPhone files?
    (I assume they are associated with iTunes) I am looking for Contacts and messages.
    Once found how can I print them so that I can enter them one by one on a different phone?

2. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

You are going about this the wrong way. You can sync or backup your contacts on gmail contacts. Open a gmail account (its free) then (with phone connected to your PC) go on iTunes under Info and select Sync Contacts with Google Contacts. Presto! Your contacts are now online. Then, you can sync your next smart phone to Google Contacts. You can do the same with Outlook, but that is not free, but if you do it this way, you can export your contacts out of Outlook and print them out as you wish.

3. RJCaldwell

RJCaldwell Thread Starter

One slight problem - the iPhone was stolen from The Holiday Inn at Panama City Beach in Florida. No iPhone and no sim card. Not too long b4 the theft the phone was synced with iTunes, but, in the mean time, the computer crashed but I was able to back-up the C: drive including Documents and Settings. That is why I am trying to find the contacts and messages. Thanks to AT&T's stingy replacement policies, I am not eligable for a price break on the replacement and they would like me to spend $299 and sign a new contract which I am not in a position to do at this time. I was hoping to use the old contacts as a guide for entering new contacts into a used $20.00 Razr phone until I can afford a slightly better phone.

4. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

RJ,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having and the run around AT&T is giving you. So I take it that you never synced with Outlook or in the clouds with Google Contacts? Not good. Well, you no better next time.

As for where the data is backup. I know from experience, that in iTunes is in the iTunes Music folder. That is where music, and apps are stored, presumably backups as well. If you successfully backup as you say you did, then you may find what you are looking for there. There is another place to look. Here is the specified location

C: Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

The simplest solution is to buy an iPhone, granted you are thinking the 3g model, but you can buy a low end used model fairly cheaply and sync it to iTunes. That I think would work best, even an iPod might be able to pull it off too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice