1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Iphone email with IMAP Gmail?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imola Ghost

Imola Ghost Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the right area or not but I'll ask here anyway.

I'm using the 3G Iphone with IMAP gmail. What is going on with all of the folder structure? There seems to be a folder structure like this:

Inbox
    Drafts
    Sent Mail
    Trash
    [Gmail]
    ------[Gmail]
    ---------Trash
    -------All Mail
    -------Spam
    -------Starred
    Drafts
    Send Mail
    Trash

Why do I have, what appears to be a normal folder structure towards the top which include the top four folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Mail & Trash)

And then I have the remaining [Gmail] structure.

Why do I have 3 Trash folders, 2 Drafts folders, & 2 Sent folders?

Is there a way I can clean/fix this up? Sorry for all of the non-technical terms but I don't really know what IMAP is other than I believe it keeps the two emails in sync, whether it's check from my computer or iphone.

If anyone can help me understand this, I would appreciate it.

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

It's what gmail does. Same thing on my iPod Touch with my gmail account...

3. tssman

tssman

It's how gmail works (and maybe all of IMAP), its the same on a desktop using Thunderbird or similar. The subfolders of [Gmail] are the folders in your gmail account. The other folders are local folders. This has to do with accessing the other folders on your gmail account. Usually you only browse the inbox but, if you wanted to access a draft that you were working on while on your computer then it would be in Gmail's Drafts folder. Its complicated and kind of broken, but I hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!