1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iPhone GPS vs TomTom GPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crcook84, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

We're getting around to buying some new cell phones. Right now, the decision is between what T-Mobile is offering and what AT&T is offering (my dad got an offer at his job from T-Mobile to switch). We'll deal with that when the time comes. My quarel is with a feature on the iPhone. I got a GPS for my birthday after I got a car so that I could get around without getting lost. The only service fee I've had to pay for it was to keep my map updated. I never had to pay to use the satellite. The iPhone has GPS capability; but, you have to pay for that service. So, why is it I can buy a TomTom for less than $100 and get free satellite service but I have to pay extra to get GPS with the iPhone?

2. Beafle

Beafle

You dont have to pay for the use of the GPS. The iphone uses it all the time when tacking photos to go geotaging and in google maps. Im not quite sure what you are asking here but i think what it is asking you to pay for is the turn by turn navigation software??

3. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

If by "turn by turn" you mean it will help get me someplace like a TomTom does when I enter in the destination information, then yes.

4. Beafle

Beafle

yeah i do mean that what you are paying for there is the use of the software not the use of the GPS. There are free alternatives on the App store but none of them are that great. When using the iPhone, it has a relatively small GPS antena so can get confused when surrounded by lots of tall buildings. The actual tom tom units have much larger GPS antena so get a stronger signal. Literally what you are paying for is for the software and use of the maps not for the use of the satilights as they will be the same no matter what app you are using on your phone.

5. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

That's interesting. Paying extra for an iPhone service that uses crappy hardware or dishing out the money for a $100 TomTom with a reliable antenna and only having to pay for a new map on an annual basis (depending on the map). I'm sure glad these cell phone services allow users to pick and choose what they want in their service plan. Thanks.

(I never thought to call navigation software "turn by turn" service. That's an interesting thought.)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!