1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Iphone tethering, vpn, xp, windows 7, router, help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jacksonmullet, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacksonmullet

jacksonmullet Thread Starter

Ok... so here it is. I am new here, and I want to set up my windows 7 laptop so I can vpn into my XP pro shares. I have the VPN server started on my XP machine, I have the router configured to allow pptp to pass through, and the vpn client set up on the laptop, it is connected to the internet via iphone tethering, and that connection works. The home network address is 192.168.0.X. I am not sure what ip to enter into the client when it asks, do I enter the Ip of the XP machine? or the routers address? I would imagine its the routers address, its the only one that is unique. Sorry if this info is all jumbled around..... the router is also set up to port forward, port 1723. When it asks for an ip in this section, I entered the Ip of the XP machine, and it also asks for a computer name, here I also used the xp's name. Any ideas? I am stumped, every attempt has failed. Thanks so much.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you've left out one vital fact. Is your iPhone (hence, your tethered Windows 7) connected to the internet through that same router or independent of the router? In the former case you connect to the XP's private IP address. In the latter case you connect to the router's WAN (public) IP address and the port forwarding should get the messages through to the XP.

3. jacksonmullet

No its independant, going thru the 3g network, I can tell because the program I use requires the iphone wifi connection the be connected between the laptop and between the laptop, therefore it cannot be also connected to my home network. I have to go into the iphone settings, and choose a network made by the program iphone modem. also the speeds seem similar to dialup.

4. jacksonmullet

I also just tried to ping the routers ip given by the isp, and no luck, also tried to do a tracert of the ip and it came up with no data at all.....

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Was your first post from behind the router and the last two from the iPhone connection?

FWIW I get a reply for a ping to the IP address of your first post, and get a good tracert of 19 hops. For the IP of your last two posts I get no reply to ping; tracert chugs along for 16 hops and then "Request timed out" for the last 14.

6. jacksonmullet

yes my first post was from behind a the router, and then it was thru the ad-hoc network via 3g, maybe the iphone doesn't passon all the info needed to get the vpn connected???

7. jacksonmullet

ok trying a new app on the iphone I can now ping my router...thats a step at least.. now I am not too sure where its failing

8. jacksonmullet

the error in windows 7 is error 807

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you do a web search for "error 807" you'll see that most ideas revolve around a firewall blocking or router blocking.

Can you connect the Windows 7 to your home network to eliminate the iPhone and router's NAT? You would use the IP address of the XP machine. Once you get that working you can add the iPhone back in.

10. jacksonmullet

I am able to access network shares when connected to the home network.. I cannot connect to the vpn through the home network though.... doubt I am supposed to be able to. I will mess with it more tonight, and see what happens. the firewall on the router and xp machine is set to allow port 1723, and the pptp passthrough, and lptp passthrough....

11. jacksonmullet

turns out the iphone can only do either tethering, or vpn, not both at the same time, ony if using bluetooth to network together the laptop and iphone will vpn work, and I have to get a blue tooth module for my laptop before i can try that.... booooo!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!