1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved IPhone won't sync with laptop or import pictures

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ss396sub, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

Old IPhone, model MD197LL/A version 7.1.2(11D257) will not sync (Access Denied). I'm trying to import pictures from IPhone to laptop so I can attach some to an email. When I had Windows 7 and plugged IPhone into laptop by USB cable there was always an immediate message asking if I wanted to import any new pictures to laptop. Now that I have Windows 10 there is no such message & I do not see any way to transfer over the pictures. What must I do ? This old novice would appreciate explicite instructions. Thanks, John

2. benlawson

benlawson

Have you tried using the Phone Companion app? You should be able to find it in the search bar. Please let me know if that works for you!

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The ipad should appear as a drive on the PC
    Also when you plug the ipad in - did a little pop out appear at the top right of the screen - it only stays a very short time
    and will say something like " tap to choose what to do "
    you may need to change the "autorun" - I dont have a ipad right now - so cannot test

Have a look and see if the ipad appears when plugged in
    File Explorer - should be on the bottom (task) bar - yellow folder icon
    click on that and then you should see the ipad listed on the left
    then you can see the photos

Or you could use itunes -
    if you have icloud setup and images set to photostream - and using ios 8 - then the photos should appear on
    www.icloud.com - use your apple/itunes ID to log in

Or you can install the icloud for windows https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283
    and then if the ipad is setup correctly - photos will sync across to the PC automatically

4. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne. Sorry about delay but a priority house choir took precedence. When I plugged in my IPhone (not IPad) I got the ITunes logo at bottom (taskbar?). When I clicked on that logo then I got the ITunes home (?) page and this message over it: "ITunes The IPhone "John's IPhone" cannot be synced. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation. OK". How do I acquire sufficient access privileges to sync and display the pictures and transmit some pics to a friend??

THEN, I clicked on the yellow icon on the Taskbar and on the left side I clicked on, John's IPhone and the pictures did display. I clicked on & highlighted a picture. At the top of screen I clicked on SHARE located between HOME & VIEW. Then I clicked on the Share icon .... (Note - the email icon was not highlighted & therefore did not work). Then a blue window opened on the right side of screen which showed a miniature of the picture to be attached, AND with the word, MAIL, which I clicked on. Next window showed, FROM with my email address and also a place to type the recipient's email address, which I inserted. Then I clicked on SEND and that screen disappeared. About 20 minutes later a small message appeared in lower right corner which indicated that the picture was not transmitted. I did this several times and always with the same results. What am I doing wrong??
    A frustrated old submariner. John

5. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

Thanks, Ben. Sorry for the delay but a pressing house choir had to take priority. In the Start Search I typed in Phone Companion and I saw that Phone Companion was included in the Windows 10 download. Please check out my lengthy reply to, Etaf Wayne, who responded to my post right after your reply. John

6. benlawson

benlawson

John, try unplugging your iPhone from your PC, then close out iTunes (check to make sure it isn't running in the bottom right toolbar). Then plug your iPhone back into the PC. You should be able to open the iPhone in the Windows Explorer window.

I had a similar issue with my wife's iPod. If you have iTunes open when you plug it in, the icon in the Windows Explorer would disappear when trying to open it. It wasn't until I closed out of the iTunes, then unplugged and plugged it back in did the icon allow me to open the file. Also you might have to use the following steps because some of the files are hidden by default:

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button [​IMG], clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
    Please let us know if this works!

7. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

Thanks, Ben: 1) OK, I unplugged my IPhone 4 and closed out ITunes & logo in taskbar disappeared. Then I, again, plugged in my IPhone 4 . Again, the SYNC did not work and I got the same message that I did not have enough access privileges for this operation; therefor, no pictures were displayed and I could not transmit any to my friend. 2) Then I clicked Start, Control Panel, Appearance & Personalization. Instead of, "Folder Options", my WIN 10 showed, "File Explorer Options" with a sub link of, "Show Hidden Files & Folders", which I clicked on. There already is a bullet dot in front of, "Show Hidden Files, Folders & Drives". 3) As I had previously replied to Etaf Wayne, when I clicked on the yellow File Explorer icon in the taskbar and then on the left side I clicked on, John's IPhone, my pictures did display. When I highlighted a picture and clicked on SHARE icon (the email icon does not work) then a blue screen appeared on right side of screen. In addition to showing a miniature of the picture to be transmitted there was also the word, MAIL, which I clicked. Next window showed, FROM and my email address & below that I could type in the recipient's email address. Then I clicked on SEND and the window disappeared. About 20 minutes later I saw a message in the lower right corner indicating that the picture was NOT transmitted. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?? OR, is there something else to download or to correct??
    P.S. When I plugged in my Canon, Power Shot SD630 digital camera to try & transmit the same pictures I experienced the same exact trouble and the same SHARE/MAIL procedure would NOT transmit. Could WIN 10 be the culprit?? I could transmit pictures by ITunes, File Explorer and by digital camera when I still had WIN 7 Home Premium. John

8. ttifrum

ttifrum

I had a problem with itunes when I upgraded to Win 10, I cured it by uninstalling itunes and reinstalling it

9. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

Thanks, ttifrum: OK. I uninstalled then re-installed ITunes + 12.3 software update & then restarted my laptop. After all this was done then I still got the same SYNC message, " ITunes The IPhone, John's IPhone, cannot be synced. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation. OK". Of course, this meant that my pictures from the IPhone were not imported to my laptop & I, therefor, could not transmit any to my friend. John

10. benlawson

benlawson

Well if you are getting the same thing from your camera, you might need to see what default email application you are using:

Start -- Settings -- System -- Default Apps -- Email (you might need to reinstall the default email account)

11. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

Thanks Ben: I followed your instructions and it correctly showed that my default email is, Mozilla's Thunderbird. If I uninstall Thunderbird, then upon reinstalling, won't I lose both current and old emails in my Inbox and Sent folders ?? I don't want to lose those emails. John

12. benlawson

benlawson

The steps for choosing a default email app will not erase your emails if you remove it. You might just try adding another default email account if you have one to see if it also has the same issues.

13. ss396sub

ss396sub Thread Starter

I'm back Ben. I was out of town tending to some things and sorry about the delay. OK, I just uninstalled Thunderbird email client and now REinstalled Thunderbird and you were correct in that I did NOT lose any of my Inbox and Sent emails. 1) I just now plugged in my IPhone 4 and the same old message popped up indicating that, " it cannot be synced & I do not have enough access privileges for this operation". 2) I then plugged in my Canon digital camera, Power Shot SD630. From File Explorer I found & clicked on Canon Power Shot and the selected picture did display that I wanted to attach to an email. I clicked on the picture and at the top of it I then clicked on the icon for Share. On the right side a blue screen appeared showing, MAIL and TWITTER. I clicked on Mail. The next window showed a miniature of the picture to be attached, then FROM with my email address and underneath that, TO where I could type in recipients email address. Then clicked SEND.
    As before, about 20 minutes later I still received the same message that the email could not be sent.
    With items 1) and 2), maybe I'm doing something wrong OR perhaps there are other things that need to be done for each. John (a frustrated old man)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice