1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iphone

Discussion in 'Apple Mobile Devices' started by peterrn, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

With Apple coming out with new choices soon, if I think the 8 has all I need should I get it now before the stores fill?
    I do not know if I am losing support time as Apple supports for about 5 years, I have heard.
    Would you agree 8 does just about all the 10 does?

2. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    This is one of those things that nobody can answer for you. Everybody is going to have their own opinion because there are difference between every phone. If the 8 does everything you want now, then go for it, if the 10 does....then go for it. But you also gotta look at repair cost, because what one 'does' is pretty much the same as the other, I mean 90% of what you can do on an 8 you can do on a 5.

Unless you have to have the newest phone to show off to others then get the one you like the most.

3. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

OK. I understand. I guess I was curious about support and age.

4. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Apple seems to update phones for abut 5 years so if I got the 8 instead of the R I had my eye on, I would not lose support time?

5. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    I'm curious why you are worried about support time? For example, if you have a 4 year old iPhone Apple will 'support' it, but if you need repair and choose to take it to Apple to have it done it'll cost more than a used phone.....so 'support' in that instance doesn't matter. When it comes to up to date iOS, you never know, iOS 12 supports more devices than most new versions do, so you never know what Apple will do.

6. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I have a Galaxy S5 it was only updated both security and firmware for Just 2 years then it got no more updates so I consider it a phone that is not secure that's why I would like to have a phone that is secure for as long as possible

7. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    Then go Apple, no Android I've ever seem will accept (without rooting) more than like 2 versions of Android, and when a version is done, they usually forget about it. Apple continuously updates there, security and all.

8. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I am looking at the iphoneR or Google pixel 3 which gives you 3 years.

9. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    I'm an Apple guy all day long, so I suggest Apple, but choice is yours of course.

10. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I agree that Apple makes the best, with a few errors. My son has the pixel and recommends it as it is updated after 3 years.
    To me, updates are a very important reason to buy. I think Apple is at least 5 years.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice