1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iPod 160GB Classic Help

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by ebisco, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebisco

ebisco Thread Starter

Evening, all.

Hope you can help me with this. I have a two year old iPod 160GB Classic that I have successfully played video on my TV in the past. This past week, I plugged the iPod into the TV and started getting a message asking me to "plug in the video accessory" with the TV Out selected. I have no idea what this means and so far, I haven't been able to find out the answer. I can still play audio on the TV with no problems, which is nice to have music as I do things about the house, but not really the only reason I have an iPod Classic, which is to have video on it and play it off the TV when I choose.

Now, thinking the cheap $7 AV cable I bought from Amazon a year ago may just have died on me (as it was warned in a review), I ponied up the cash and bought the expensive $40 cable from Apple. Same problem, still asking for the video accessory. Now I have two apparently good cables of varying prices.

I don't believe that I played any video on the TV since the last iPod update through iTunes, so I am wondering if this is a software problem. I have not tried it on another TV as I don't have one to try it on. I will take it with me to check at my Grandmother's house and see if it works on her TV.

Apple's answer online is to just plug in the video accessory, which I have done repeatedly. I've plugged it in before activating the TV Out, plugged it in when prompted, and so far, I cannot get past the "attach video accessory" screen in order to see video. A couple of times I managed to end up with audio, but I will be honest, I have no idea how I did that.

As far as I can tell, with the cable attached to the docking point and plugged into the TV at the appropriate points, the "video accessory" is indeed attached, though the iPod isn't recognizing this. I will shell out the money to talk to Apple Support if I have to.

I just discovered that the current update for iTunes won't run on my G4 Powerbook as I have OS X 10.4 on it and it requires 10.5. I am trying to find out if I can indeed download 10.5 without making my laptop go up in smoke. I don't think that I can ascertain if there is an update for the iPod without having the iTunes update first. Yay me....

Ideas on how to fix this? Or what I am doing wrong? Or is my iPod needing some kind of update that its not asking for when I plug it into the computer? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice