1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ipod classic with external hard drive- switching computers

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by LiSaHa, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiSaHa

LiSaHa Thread Starter

I purchased an 160 gb ipod classic (7th generation) about a month ago. I got a seagate expansion external hard drive to sync it with. I had successfully loaded 1500 songs on my ipod before moving and therefore switching computers. Since I still want to use the external hard drive and keep all of the music that is already on the ipod, when I installed itunes on the new computer, I selected for my ipod to sync with the same external hard drive. I was expecting all my music to be there, but I can't find it on the hard drive anymore. I am concerned that I lost the music from the hard drive, but I know there is a way to fix this since all of the music is still on the ipod itself. When I hook my ipod up to the computer, a message comes up saying how the ipod can only have one music library at a time and asking if I want to erase and sync or to start over with just the songs purchased from the itunes store. Most all of my music collection so far is on CDs and I don't want to lose all of the music I already have on there.

My questions are: By selecting it to sync with the external hard drive on the new computer, does that mean I accidentally got rid of the music on the external hard drive since the ipod can only sync with one music library at a time? If so, how do I copy the music still on my ipod back on to the external hard drive without losing it on the ipod? And then how would I proceed after that to be able to edit my music library and sync without losing any of the music I already have on the ipod? When I download itunes, how do I get it to sync with the external hard drive without losing the music that is already on that hard drive?

Any answers or help is very much appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice