Ipod, Itunes 5?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

heck

Well.. I got a ipod nano for christmas. heh id enjoy it more if I actually could get it to show up.

More specifically..

I plug in my ipod into the USB port.
I get a "Do not disconnect" on my ipod nano's screen.
Now on the computer.. I wait for a auto run of some sort. Nothing so I go and double click on Itunes. And for a sec. It shows the loading hour glass cursor. But than it suddenly stops.

However.. My ipod recharges fine.

Iv been told I need a new USB Card.. And to buy the one off of www.apple.com

Any ideas how I can resolve this troublesome problem? Or do I need to buy that USB Card?

heck

- Windows Xp Home Edition
- Pentium 4

- 80GB Hard Drive
- 256mb pc2700

- Certified HighSpeed USB 2.0
- iTunes 5 (software)

I can name every piece of hardware on this computer if you like... but thats the main stuff.
:) plez help.

Do other USB devices run OK?
Are all motherboard drivers loaded?
Any yellow warning symbols in Device Manager?

heck

Yes. My Wireless mouse works fine (its pluged in the usb as well)

Yes all drivers are running properly..

Device Manager?.. I don't quite know what program that is..

heck said:
Yes. My Wireless mouse works fine (its pluged in the usb as well)

Yes all drivers are running properly..

Device Manager?.. I don't quite know what program that is..
i'll sound like an idiot when i am trying to talk about a computer:eek: ... but here goes anyway... and i don't know how to extrapolate this to your system, as i use windows98se...

when i press the 'flag' key... lower left part of the keyboard, with the windows logo on it :)... and press the 'pause/break' key (upper right corner of keyboard) at the same time... a little window comes up that is labeled 'system properties'. one of the tabs under system properties is 'device manager', and it tells what devices are installed on the computer in question.

nothing? my device manager has a long list of all of the devices (hardware) installed on the system.

i don't understand why someone would tell you that you need a new usb card if your wireless mouse works fine.

heck

Well they told me that Ipod only gets supported by afew usbs.. and not all work on it.

heck

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!! I Have looked everywhere!!! LET ME EXPLAIN ONCE MORE.

I have USB 2.0
Windows XP HOME
My ipod nano is Getting a (DO NOT DISCONNECT) and it recharges.
Ipod updater and Itunes are 5.0 and they can't see the ipod.. SO U CAN Understand what the problem is..

ITS DRIVING ME INSANE.. I looked almost 24 hours to solve it.
I swear if no one will help me i'll...i'll...i'll cut my wrist LOL :p j/k man

Sorry for losin my cool.. BUT HELL... Can anyone solve this problem????!!!

saltydawgs

Account Closed
1st of all, isnt there a itunes 6.0
should you try updating that first

+ maybe you can try to plug in your nano in a different USB slot, several computers have USB ports in the back...

heck

Well first of all.. I tried every Usb slot.. And I tried updating.. It does see the Ipod.. It tells me to insert one lol.

Not working.. and im getting rather angry..

First off try looking in "my computer" after plugging your Nano into its USB port. You should see the Nano listed there as "whatever you named it" (F: ) or possibly some other letter (E:, G: ... depends on how many drives you have in your comp). If its listed there you more likely have a problem with iTunes not your Nano and maybe uninstalling it then reinstalling it may help you out.
Second as for the "no auto run" that's a feature you can enable/disable in iTunes preferences (I have it disabled as I'd rather not have iTunes open if I simply plugged my Nano in to charge it).
Third, in your first post you say after plugging in your Nano and clicking on iTunes you just get the hourglass and it doesn't start. In your last post before this you say "it does see the iPod". So which is it does iTunes open or not (how can it see the Nano if it doesn't?)? Going on your first post and what I've read in the apple Nano forums it sounds like you may have had a corrupted install of iTunes and you should reinstall it.

I wouldn't upgrade to itunes6 yet as there seems to be a lot of complaints coming from people using it on windows computers, wait until a couple more v6 releases have come out. Like you I'm using winXP home and am having no problems with itunes5 connecting to my Nano (sometimes it can take 30 secs to a min for iTunes to recognize that its plugged in ... which was just addressed in a firmware update for it) and I just have integrated USB from my MOBO.

Finally as for the "do not disconnect" screen to get rid of that you have to either eject the device from within iTunes or stop it by right clicking on the "safely remove hardware" icon in winXPs notification area and choosing to stop the device which will change the Nano screen to its main menu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online