1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iPOD killing wireless network - USB Problem??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louisj23, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

I am currently using a Netgear wireless router with a Netgear wireless 2.0 USB adapter. The motherboard I have is an ASUS P4P800 478 socket
    Windows XP Professional
    Pentium 4- 3.0ghz
    Anytime I plug my iPOD into my front or rear USB ports I immediately get the error message that iTunes can not connect to iStore. The reason for this is because my network connection is immediately shut down when I plug the iPod in. The only solution is that I must uninstall the Netgear sofware and re-install it.
    This only occurs with my iPod. Recently I have tried a joystick and 5 different thumb drives. I have also put my iPod on 3 different computers here at work and no problems, but they do not have a wireless USB adapter.
    So is this a USB problem that I can fix in the BIOS?
    weird

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

Humm....

Have you checked to see exactly how many USB ports you have?

Are they all functional with no problems?

Have you checked your Event Logs for any error entries?

3. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

2 front 2 rear ports.
    No error messages from event log.
    all ports functional as I have put a joystick, flash drives, and cell phone data cable into each USB port just to troubleshoot.
    It is only the iPOD that somehow overrides the wireless USB 2.0 adapter and kills it.
    The only thing that I didn't mention was that when this happens I can not even launch the Netgear WPN111 software program, it will not open at all, well a quick flash and that's about it.
    Yes, I know...hummmm

4. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

OK, this is SOLVED I think. I have yet to try it out since I don't have my iPOD USB handy but this was on the NETGEAR forums....

If you have a Netgear adapter and a XP computer and are experiencing dropped wireless connections, make sure that you disable WZC in Services. When both the Netgear utility and WZC are running they may conflict with each other. To disable WZC go to control panel/admin tools/services/scroll down to WZC and disable at startup.

5. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

NOT SOLVED
    Disabling WZC in services did help a little but not totally. I still lose the network connection as soon as I plug my iPod in, yet I no longer lose the Netgear program so that I do not have to do a complete uninstall and re-install. So to be precise I have my wireless Netgear WPN111 plugged into the rear USB of the motherboard and the iPOD is just going into the front USB of the case. Again, the front USBs are working fine with jump drives, joysticks, etc.
    Still confused.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice