1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

iPod or USB hard drive cause Windows XP to freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xocgx, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xocgx

xocgx Thread Starter

Hello all,

I've had this problem for a while where if I connect my iPod touch to the USB port (and the Apple Mobile service is on) it freezes instantly. sometimes it would work for a second or so, but when the iPod went to sleep/made that beep, the whole Pc froze (power cycle required). I know the iPod works on other machines and other iPods cause ti to crash as well.

Fast forward to yesterday when my new Western digital MyBook 1 TB came in. I plugged it in and at first, it just wasn't seeing it. I found good advice on this forum about revealing hidden drivers in device nmanager, deleting ALL USB devices and drives not present and rebooting. that actually worked. I got my songs to my 1 TB drive (to be safe, luckily) and then started synching my iPod. It actually synched 1200 of the 1250 songs and then froze.

Now, no matter what I do with deleting the devices, rebooting, etc, it seems to freeze instantly. Heck, the USB drive freezes now, too. when I power cycle and go back to the devices, there IS a new hidden device for the MyBook or iPod so it actually starts to (or maybe finishes) adding the service, but the PC locks.

I also disabled the Indexing service and DEP (as per other threads on this site) to no avail. I have Windows XP SP3. I have read many others claim that their similar issues started around SP2 (which sounds about right). My mobo is an ASUS p5nSLI.

If anyone has ideas/solutions, let me know! I do eventually plan to swap out the mobo and CPU (and eventually go to Windows 7) but I fear the problem will continue. As far as I know, USB gamepads still work.

Thanks!!!

2. xocgx

xocgx Thread Starter

ps I was able to copy the files from the drive to another PC and then synch the iPod that way, so all hardware works...and I tried EVERY USB port...even added 2 more from my new case. No such luck (except the one time). thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice