1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ipv4 doesnt connect but ipv6 does

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Litsky, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Litsky

Litsky Thread Starter

Ok guys,

For starters I'm using windows 7. I've never experienced or heard of the problem I'm having right now and with extensive searching on the internet for a solution with no luck, I've come to ask you guys for assistance as a last resort so please help me out here.

About a week ago I've noticed my internet acting funny. My internet is connected, full bars. My browsers work (Firefox, Chrome). I can search on google and I can view google images, facebook, wikipedia, youtube, the microsoft website, and a select others. But every other site doesn't show. On Chrome it typically comes up as "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" and FX as "Server not found". I've tried the various suggested solutions such as writing commands in the command prompt which goes something like "winsock reset" and "winsock ip reset reset log". And just as a note, I can view every site with my tablet and 2 other separate smartphones so my modem or router seems to be fine. I also can't start up LoL stating a "RADS ERROR" from the moment this problem has occured if that helps.

Upon further investigation I've found that my IPv6 is connected but IPv4 says it isn't. Which I think is to be the main problem. Furhermore starting from about 2 days ago my windows 7 suddenly starts alerting me that it isn't a legit product? Which shouldn't be the case as I've bought my laptop that came with it pre-installed from a large retail store... and it's been fine the past 4 years.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I could solve this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    WHen you are connected using IPV4, launch a command prompt and see if you can ping by IP.. ping 8.8.8.8 if you can, you have an internet connection. Then try pinging by domain name.. ping www.google.com

If you cannot ping by domain, but can ping by IP.. You have a DNS Issue. In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns

Try pinging by both IP and domain again and see if that fixes it.. Let me know

3. Litsky

Litsky Thread Starter

The problem is that my IPv4 doesn't connect at all. Only IPv6 connects. My IPv4 is currently set to 8.8.8.8 as main and 8.8.4.4 as sub already. I've also tried /flush dns. I've tried pinging 8.8.8.8 and it says "General failure". Packets: sent=4, received=0, loss=4 <100% loss>... however as I've stated before, I have full bars and I can use google and see youtube. What gives :(

Edit: sorry, I've tried ping www.google.com and it says packets: sent=4, received=4, loss=0 <0% loss>. Ok so it's a DNS issue..? I've tried flushdns and no luck. Any ideas?

4. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    You statically assigned your DNS to Google's Public DNS.
    -> Are you connected to a Router?
    -> If you set your DNS to Dynamic, are you able to connect at all?

5. Litsky

Litsky Thread Starter

Sorry could you explain how I could set my DNS to Dynamic?
    I'm using wireless.

Also I've just found out that even when both IPv4 and IPv4 isn't connecting, I can still use google and wikipedia's services... isn't that weird? Or maybe it's not, I wouldn't know lol

6. keltic1der

keltic1der

First Name:
    Donald
    If this is not for a company owned computer> Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter settings > Right click on your Local Area Network and select Properties > Locate the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) high light it and select Properties > Make sure the radio dot in front of "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected

7. Litsky

Litsky Thread Starter

Yep I've tried that, no go :(

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice