IPv6 wired router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rvail317

Hello,
Leo Laporte had mentioned (during his brief Coast to Coast Radio Show appearance last week) that the IPv6 feature should probably be included when looking to purchase a new home router. My current Netgear model 614-v4 wired router doesn't include IPv6, but only IPv4. (Latest firmware installed).
My question: is it possible for an IPv4 router to be upgraded to IPv6, via simply a firmware update? Or, does IPv6 require new hardware?
Also: is there a list somewhere of IPv6 wired routers? I think I'd prefer staying with the Netgear brand, but they don't seem to offer any IPv6 wired routers, at the present time.
TIA

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think it's probably a bit early to spend a lot of money on IPv6, there really isn't a driving reason for needing it right now.

Ask yourself this question: Have I been limited in any way by not having IPv6 support in my router?

If the answer is no, wait until the answer is yes. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online