1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

irfanview: how to resize from command line without enlarging the image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by renewestenbe, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renewestenbe

renewestenbe Thread Starter

I want to use Irfanview to resize my images using a windows batch file.

From the GUI one can specify that a picture should not become larger as a result of the resize. However, I can not find such an option between the command line arguments.

1) does anyone know how to do this (when possible)?
    2) Is there a good Irfanview site/forum somewhere?

Rene

2. Telstar

Telstar

Hi Rene,
    There does not seem to be an IrfanView Forum that I can find, just the
    IrfanView Homepage that I'm sure you're familiar with.
    I don't believe there is one as yet.

I don't have an answer to your question myself but perhaps someone
    will come along with a solution.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer you could send an email to
    Irfan Skiljan, author of IrfanView.

mailto:[email protected]

(Note: it took about five days for me to get a reply from him).

Good Luck!
    Telstar :)

3. DArndt

DArndt

Rene,

I call the Irfanview program from a REXX script to do resizing, a batch command should be exactly the same.

IRFANVIEW {file name of source file} /resample=(width,height) /aspectratio /convert={output file name}

for example: irfanview myphoto.jpg /resample=(300,100) /aspectratio /convert=myphoto_tn.jpg

when you use both the width and height values, (and aspectratio) then the output is constrained by whichever "limit" is hit first. If you use only the width or height, then the other value "floats" to whatever size is needed to maintain the aspect ratio.

As for a forum, I don't know of one either (i hit your question in my search for one)

In Irfanview, bring up the help index and enter "batch command", it will display all the batch options.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

neat, i just learned something here. I almost forgot about batch files and didnt realise that if i built one for irfanview resizing/resampling, i could double the image size of all my files in a directory via one click instead of constantly manually doing them. Neat- I'm on the right track eh?

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

Maybe I'm missing something or more likely don't understand what is trying to be done but...

can't any of this be done from the batch conversion function within Irfanview?

buck

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

i don't think but i may be wrong, that the feature inside of the irfanview program for batch conversion can do batch resampling, although just a moment ago i shrunk tons of the images on my harddrive by converting them from .bmp to .jpg, which really helped doing it all at once. Irfanview has always come in handy, if i can find a script or something to resample all files i put in a directory by 200% using B-Spline, i'd be really happy.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Have you looked in the advanced options in the batch window...

EDIT: One thing I don't know is what filter is use in the batch conversion but I would guess it uses whatever you have set in resize/resample under the image tab

buck

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah it had resize, not resample, unless it just doesnt have resample for what i had set.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

resample

Attached Files:

10. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Buck - where in irfanview is this dialog box located? or is this found somewhere else? ;) Thanks!

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

Hi MSM Hobbes

open irfan click file> Batch Conversion/Rename at the lower right put a check in use advanced options then click Set advanced options

have fun

buck

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Oh, that didn't show up on what i selected, but i think i had either too much or a invalid format, but i see it now thank you. I'll see if i can get these files resampled. TTYL i'll update.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice