1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IrfanView question about aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Scud VR4, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scud VR4

Scud VR4 Thread Starter

I just got IrfanView and I was wondering if it was possible to make the cursor expand in a fixed aspect ratio (similar to how you can hold down shift in Photoshop and it expands in a square). However, insted of a square I'd like to be able to make it expand in a ratio of 176x220

The only way I've been able to get my images to that size thus far is to crop out parts of the photo I don't want, then resize it down to a width of 176 (while keeping the images aspect ratio), and finally crop the rest to a height of 220 pixels. It's time consuming and requires a little bit of trial and error so I'm hoping for an easier way to get this done.

If anyone is curious as to why I need that size, it's because I'm 'attempting' :p to make wallpapers for my cell phone but it's been so difficult I haven't had much luck.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to help me out :)

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

can't you do that with the crop tool in Photoshop?

or were you just using Photoshop as an example and you don't have it?

also in ifranview have a look under the edit menu at create custom selection... not sure if that is what you want or not

buck

3. Scud VR4

Scud VR4 Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't have Photoshop but the create custom selection thing is exactly what I want to do! I set the custom selection to 176x220 and then I just have to hold down ctrl and it makes it larger and smaller (while still maintaining the proper aspect ratio) Thanks a lot buddy! :D

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

good deal... :)

glad to help

buck

5. Scud VR4

Scud VR4 Thread Starter

Ack.. one more quick question..

Now that I'm resizing the images (and maintaining their proper aspect ratios) I'm experiences a lot of pixelization when making the images smaller. Is there any way to correct this?

6. Scud VR4

Scud VR4 Thread Starter

Doh.. I figured it out. I should be 'resampling' rather than 'resizing' :eek:

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice