1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IrfanView - which plugin - if necessary?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jelleym, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Intro:

Believe it or not, I hardly have had occasion in my life for photography, and haven't even owned a cheapo camera since childhood in the 1960's. Let alone a digicam (just so you know who you're dealing with!)

I have the Fujifilm A330 digicam which I foolishly won via auction without any accessories or software.

I do not plan on being a heavy picture taker AT ALL - just occasionally, to get diagrams or pics online if need be.

Anyway, I'm planning on perhaps buying an Olympus 128 mb xd card and Bytecc xd card reader.

And that leaves the final Q of which software to use.

I already have IrfanView Version 3.85 downloaded, but not sure if it includes what's necessary if I'd want to edit photos.

Question - is it necessary to download one of the below plugins in order to be able to be manipulate future digital pics, and if so, which plugin is the correct one?

http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Welcome to the world of digital photography. Irfan view is a good program to begin with and will always be a part of your photography kit.

To do the basics like cropping and brightness/contrast editing the plugins aren't really that important but they don't take up much space and could be handy later depending on how much you get hooked on digital photography.

Be warned digital photography can be very addictive and is a lot of fun.

3. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

xgerryx, thank you very much!

Also, something else I'm wondering about in trying to determine which card reader to buy.

See, I have a 128 MB Dell memory stick (or maybe it's called a memory pen, not sure). It's just laying around - I never actually used it, because I have an Iomega zip drive which I've been using for backup storage, including a few zip disks.

There are some card readers which are touted as 8-in-1 or 12-in-1.

Does this mean the multiple slots are also usable as zip drives, AND/OR as memory-stik drives?
    For that matter, is the Bytecc U2CR-208NX capable of doubling as zip-drive or memorystick-drive?

If so, then maybe I should get one of the multi-slotted ones, instead of merely, say, the single-slot Sandisk Imagemate USB 2.0 card reader?

For the life of me, I don't know how to interpret their specs to answer my above question.

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

The Sandisk 12 in 1 works real well. The extra slots are used to read the different types of flash cards out there. Different cameras use different types. The XD works well and is the smallest card (physical size). I'd recommend getting a 256 MG card instead of the 128 though. Only 18 dollars different at "mydigitaldiscount." No, I am not affiliated, But I have used them before. The 12 in 1 does read and write to the memory stick.

5. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Actually, I was speaking about the single slot Sandisk. What about that one? It's approx. $12.

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

The single slot models only read two types of card for each model. You would need two different readers for the two card types you have .
    xD / SmartMedia (model # SDDR-95)
    • Memory Stick / Memory Stick PRO (model # SDDR-97
    The 12 in 1 reads all cards currently on the market(Ithink) including microdrive.

7. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

I have another Q but first let me establish that I phoned & thereby got to learn that I'd used the wrong terminology. When I said memory stick/pen what I meant by that was "flash drive".
    And I found out that NO card readers (not even the 12 in 1) offer slots for EITHER flash-memory OR zip disks.

Which means that any card reader I get would need to be placed on top of the zip drive that's already resting on my box (and is already usurping the USB port that's in front of the box).

Now - here's a followup Q:

I'm seeking the best buy on both:
    XD pic card (to fit in my Fujifilm A330 digicam)
    and
    Card reader

Is the below combo a good deal, or does anyone know of a better deal?

From ECost:
    Olympus 128 MB pic card $24
    Sandisk Imagemate USB 2.0 smart media & XD card reader $12.55
    $4 handling charge
    free ground shipping
    Any hidden costs or potential snags I may not be aware of?

8. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Ah... well, I'll try posting this last Q in a new post.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!