1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IRQ Assignment for a Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FZWG, Mar 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Working with a mainboard (BEK-5731) to build a PC, and having trouble with video card. (Have tried several video cards in PCI Slot 1, but they either do not work at all, present garbled info, or the monitor screen freezes up after a while forcing a reset to get things going again.)

When PC boots, under PCI Device Listing, Device Class: Display Controller shows IRQ=NA.

Under System Tools>System Info>Hardware Resources>IRQs, IRQ 11 was assigned to:IRQ Holder for PCI Steering, AND, Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller. Not interested in USB, so, disabled this option in the BIOS. Now, the info that shows up is that IRQ 11 is Free!!

Appreciate some assistance on how to assign IRQ 11 to the Video card.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi FZWG
    Try going into safe mode deleting the video card and rebooting. With any luck your system wiil pick up the extra IRQ and assign it to the video card when it redetects it and reloads the driver. Easier than manually setting the IRQ.

3. Chum

Chum

Go to BIOS. Find "assign IRQ to VGA", make sure it is enabled. I had similar problem.
    See my post in this forum titled "replacing video card...steps?" My BIOS is Award...look around you should find this line. I'm sure it is set to disabled if you see NA during post. It is impossible to assign a specific IRQ # though...it's hit and miss. Trying different slots will change # usually...also, why not AGP. I've also read somewhere in this forum that you should not use PCI slot that is closest to AGP or ISA slots...unsure why though.

[This message has been edited by Chum (edited 03-06-2001).]

4. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Ended up returning board. Was not able to get it to assign an IRQ to the video card.

Thanks for the help.

:)

5. Chum

Chum

What happened when you tried to assign an IRQ to video?
    If it hangs with "Windows protection error" it is probably "stepping on" another device. Try removing other
    devices(in device manager & physicaly). Install video card first, then install other devices...this is what I had to do...hope this helps!

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi chum
    Its ok to use the first PCI slot next to the AGP slot if the AGP slot is not in use. I believe its because the two slots share interrupts. Probably the same with the ISA slot next to the PCI slot. Also the ISA slot usually overlaps the PCI so on some boards it is physically impossible to use both slots.

Anyway FZWG returned his board, this thread is probably closed.

7. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

BTW Chum,

BIOS did not support assign IRQ to VGA. Looked for it all over the place, but it was nowhere to be found. Guess BIOS was rather old.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Have a good weekend. You too, Lurker1.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice