1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

irq conflict?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by toecutter, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toecutter

toecutter Thread Starter

Under irq pci #11 my video card and xp promise fast track controller are listed together. How can I separate the two?

My gaming is horrible and there us a beeping sound from my motherboard. I have rulled everything else out.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sharing irqs is normal in xp / win2k it is how the os is designed to work. You can try and move the promise controller to another slot. By chance do you have the controller card in the first slot after the agp slot? If so move it; the agp slot and pci slot 1 do not play well together. Other than those suggestions the only way to get things on separate irqs is to change the hal [hardware abstraction layer] this is normally done when you install xp; however it is possible to do without a reinstallation. I have instructions on how to do this; however I think you need to exhaust all other possibilities prior to trying this procedure. Post back after you have tried the above suggestions.

3. toecutter

toecutter Thread Starter

what is xp promise fast track controller?

under device manager there are 3 ide ata/atapi controllers. 1-primary 2- secondary and 3- sis pci ide udma controller. 3 only has my hard drive, d and e drives

I have nothing in any of the pci slots. My internet is running with the built-in ethernet.

sorry if my questions seem silly--- i'm just a rookie

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What you are referring to is probably a promise controller. It gives you more ide slots to hookup hds to. Is it listed under scsi and raid controllers in device mgr? Again as long as there are no problems do not worry about devices sharing irqs.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just reread your post. If you do not have anything in any pci slot, then it must be an onboard controller. If your performance is suffering you can try and put your hd on to ide 1, cd drive on ide 2 and disable the onboard promise controller. If this configuration works better for you then you can leave it that way.
    Generally the sharing of irqs in xp or win2k does not cause problems. I would investigate all other possible causes as well. Some things to look at; correct ide cables, dma selected in device mgr, mb drivers up to date, video card driver up to date, sound driver etc.
    It would help if you could post your system specs. Is this a name brand computer or is it one that was assembled?

6. toecutter

toecutter Thread Starter

350watt power
    mb-asus p4s8x
    chip intel 2.53
    corsair pc2700 512ddr ram
    hd-wd 80gig
    vid- ati 9500pro
    os-windows xp home
    16x matshitadvd-rom
    lite-on 52x48x52
    using onboard lan and sound

sis agp driver 12/24/2002
    ide driver 10/21/2002
    cmedia driver 11/28/2002
    bios version 1004

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok I looked up your board; the promise controller is an onboard serial ata controller that I assume you are not using. Go into the bios and disable it; that should put just the agp card on irq 11. As to performance with gaming what exactly are your problems and are they just gaming related?
    One thing that I would make absolutely sure of with your hardware is that I had a quality power supply. A 350W should be ok [however that is the minimum] if it is a good quality unit such as Enermax, Antec, Enlight, or Coolmax. I would check and see who made the unit. If it is a Foxconn / Deer unit, I would definitely swap it out. Cheap ps have cause more problems than I can count.

8. toecutter

toecutter Thread Starter

whenever the cpu crunches some numbers a quite beep is heard from somewhere internal. The more proccessed the more beeps. During gaming I'm getting a ton of hanging and skipping. This happens with any game but is the worst with 1st person shooter games. ati sent me a bunch of stuff to do and nothing worked. I sent the vid card back to the seller and they said it is working fine and to check IRQ's and drivers. Asus said to update bios (which was already done). While the card was gone I put in a old ati 7000 pci vid card in and the beeping went away but the graphics were still horrible. Basically it will run fine for a couple of seconds and then hag for 1-2 seconds. Overall picture quality is great but the acutal 3d performance is poor. It acts like I just have bad driver.

As I wrote this thread I heard about 25 beeps. If the system is just at idle, one little beep can be heard every 10-20 seconds

the hd was already on ide 1 and cd drives on ide 2
    dma already selected
    all drivers up to date

thanks for your help so far

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What video driver are you using? Have you updated to direct x 9 so you can use the latest ati driver? Have you disabled the promise serial ata controller in the systems bios? If you are not using serial ata then disable it. If you need instructions on how to do this, post back.
    When you update your driver are you uninstalling the previous driver? Ati cards are picky about uninstalling the old driver first, rebooting then installing the new updated driver. Here is a link to ati’s site you can download the latest driver from there.
    http://www.ati.com/
    Just as a reference I am using an ati 9000 pro and there are no problems whatsoever; dual boot xp pro and win2k pro.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

11. toecutter

toecutter Thread Starter

directx9
    promise disabled
    tried the latest 2 ati drivers and the one that came with the card (currently using driver 6292). uninstalled old drivers by the book. agp running at 4x

I just got off the phone with asus and they ran through everything with me. They think I have a voltage problem or a bad agp slot. I ran the game battlefield 1942 with the pc probe running and got alot of alarms under voltage. There was no big spikes but many alarms within the 3.0 volt area.

I have a 350watt power. running 2 case fans and a ti heatsink.
    Just noticed that with many of the beeps there is a small decrease in fan speed.

The asus tech ran the problems with his crew and said that they have never had any calls with problems like this. Yes there were some difficulties when the board first came out but none of this magnitude. If the voltage is not the problem, they are recommending that the board be RMAed.

this is getting very old

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a test you might try and borrow another ps. If it still has the problem, then yes I think it is your board. It sounds like you have done everything else that can be done.

13. toecutter

toecutter Thread Starter

update

threw in a antec 450 ps and all the problems went away

I learned a valuable lesson with this one

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is amazing what a good quality ps will do. I try and tell people not to go with the cheapest ps or ram; it ends up costing more in the long run.
    Glad it worked out for you.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice