1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IRQ Conflicts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philtivvy, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

I have been trying to fit a USB 2 controller card to an old computer with little success. After reading several articles on other forums I think I may have an IRQ conflict.
    Without the card the computer works normally, with it it will not boot up at all. Ihave tried two different cards by different manufacturers with the same result.
    The mainboard is a Micro Star International MS-6378 (VT8361), looking, in a mystified sort of way, at the BIOS settings I find that PNP OS is installed <YES> and Resources controlled <AUTO(ESCD)> and Assign IRQ for ACPI <AUTO>.
    The articles I have read seem to suggest that I can manually configure the BIOS to resolve the kind of problem I am suffering from but I dont know enough about it to try anything. Step-by-step guidance would be appreciated.
    While investigating the computer for the information above I found that it had a slot A CPU running at 1200 mHz. Is it possible to replace the CPU with a faster one without changing the mainboard?
    Best wishes
    phil

2. norton850

norton850

I know you tried different cards did you try different slots?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Generally irq conflicts are not a problem with win2k, xp, or vista.

Note if you turn off acpi [only way to manuall assign irqs] you will most likely have to reinstall windows.

Norton's suggestion to try another slot is a very good one. As a general rule the bottom pci slot does not share resources; this is where I try and install any controller card. Note the above is not always true; it is a general rule.

4. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for the reply Norton. Yes I have tried different slots, all with the same result. I have also tried one of the cards in a different computer with no apparent problems.
    Hi crjdriver
    The OS is XP so as you say it should be OK, but isn't. Could you tell me which is the bottom slot, ie. is it the one furthest away from the CPU?
    In the Device Manager are shown four USB controllers. I tried removing all of them and on reboot they all came back as 'New Hardware' so obviously they are built into the mainboard for the slots are at present empty.
    The descriptions of the four devices are:-
    USB Root Hub (Standard USB Host Controller) Location 0
    USB Root Hub (Standard USB Host Controller) Location 0
    VIA Rev 5 or later Universal Host Controller PCI Bus 0 Device 7 Function 2
    VIA Rev 5 or later Universal Host Controller PCI Bus 0 Device 7 Function 3
    All of them are described as enabled.
    Would it help if one or more of these were disabled? If so which one ?
    Best wishes
    phil

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bottom slot is just that the one at the bottom of the tower. If you happen to have one of the old desk top cases, it would be the pci slot farthest from the connections for your mouse/keyboard.

Sometimes hardware just does not play well together. If you cannot get the card to work, return it and go with one of another mfg. Specifically one with a different chipset controller; ie if you are using a card with a via chipset, then get one with an nec chipset on the card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice