1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IRQ Frustrations

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by redrust422, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redrust422

redrust422 Thread Starter

Problem:

XP assigns the same IRQ to my video, sound, wireless pci adaptor, and 1394 host controller. I want to assign just one IRQ to major devices such as video and sound, and to the PCI wireless adapter card as well.

Symptoms:

Graphical hitching and hang-ups
    Frequent loss of internet connection over wireless network (never happened before on my older comp)

Attempted Solutions:

I have physically switched the pci cards (I only have 2 pci slots) and the other configuration had the vid card and wireless adapter on the same IRQ, not separate, which is better, but still not what I need it to be.

Tried assigning IRQ's in BIOS. XP just switches them back thanks to ACPI.

Thinking about disabling ACPI (probably a bad idea) and assigning IRQ's myself in BIOS??

Also, (and I really dont want to do this) if I format my XP drive then assign IRQ's in the BIOS, then install Windows again will XP keep my IRQ preferences?

System Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Motherboard: MSI K9N4 SLI series

1GB RAM

Video Card: Radeon x1650 PCI-Express

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio

Linksys Wireless-G PCI adaptor
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in Device Manager under "Computer". If it shows ACPI Uniprocessor or ACPI Multiprocessor, I have never seen an IRQ conflict ( and I have built a lot of PCs).

Switching to "Standard PC" and trying to set the IRQs manually will usually cause more problems than you had before. And trying to switch back from Standard PC to ACPI is near impossible. I would look someplace else.

Can you elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve?

3. redrust422

redrust422 Thread Starter

Well, I moved the pci cards back to their original slots and now only the vid card and wireless card share the same IRQ. I noticed some serious hitching in a game that shouldnt hitch at all with my hardware setup and decided to see what IRQ my vid card was on, and noticed it shared with the wireless card, and I thought to myself, in an online game both would be under load especially the vid card. So I was hoping I could give the vid card a IRQ all to itself. It doesn't look like that is gonna happen so far.

Changing my HAL is out of the question, to much risk involved really. I just wonder if I had disabled all the ports and devices I don't use in the BIOS before I installed XP if maybe the IRQ's wouldn't have been shared on the major system devices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice