1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IRQ trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mtrvideo, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Is there anyway to override Windows 2000 and reassign IRQ's. My video capture card needs its own and 2000 keeps assigning other peripherals to the same one.

Pat

...I miss NT4 sometimes....

2. brianF

brianF

3. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll post if their solution works.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can disable acpi from within win2k after it is installed. You may need to reinstall drivers for your hardware since it will be redetected. This procedure may also cause some problems with shutdown of win2k. I do not think acpi is the problem that some people think it to be. Quite often the problem is a hardware conflict or the pci card is installed in an inappropriate slot. Anyway here are the instructions for disabling acpi and you should not have to reinstall win2k.

Under Windows 2000 you can disable ACPI from within Windows as follows:

Go to Device Manager and select Computer -> Properties of ACPI PC
    Click the driver Tab and choose Update Driver
    When the wizard gets to the "What do you want the wizard to do?" page select "Display a list of the known drivers..."
    Then "Show all hardware of this device class"
    Then select "Standard PC"
    Reboot the machine
    When Windows 2000 restarts it'll redetect most of the hardware in your machine again and reassign IRQ's to them, turning off ACPI.
    Note: If you installed Windows with ACPI enabled in the BIOS, and then you disable ACPI using the BIOS, you may need to do a fresh install of Windows!

5. mtrvideo

mtrvideo Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I do agree that acpi is not the huge problem that I made it sound out to be, however, I do think it's the mbs I'm using. There are onboard peripherals that pull resources away from the ones I am installing. Before I upgraded to a P3 (I was using a P Pro 200) I didn't have that problem with 2000. I just assumed it was an outdated cheap mb and then bought a P4 with only the sound card onboard. But I need to replace the heat sink fan on the cpu before I can find out if there will be similar problem with that one....one of these days I'm just going to satisfied with what I know already works.....nah, that wouldn't be any fun.

Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice