1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Irql Not Less Or Equal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by svn21, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. svn21

svn21 Thread Starter

hi,
    somebody has got to help me out on this..i've been struggling with this prob for over 2 weeks now.
    The prob is that whenever i start up my computer for the first time in the day or atleast after 5 hrs it was last shut down, the computer reboots on its own a couple of times , or i've to reboot it a couple of times when this error message on blue screen comes up..it reads as
    a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to computer
    IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL
    technical info:
    ***STOP: 0 X 0000000A(O X OOOO3AFE, 0 X 00000002, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 804E30C2)
    thats wat come on the blue screen...sometimes ot comes as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL....with a different string in the technical info line..
    my basic system config is
    win xp pro
    80gb hard disk
    512 mb ddr ram in 2 cards
    geforce4 mx
    the second ram of 256 was brought recently...i thought it could be that causing the prob, but i ran a couple of memory diagnostic tests that say it was good....
    help me out :eek:

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

I wouldn't trust the Ram tests, the only surefire way to check your ram is to swap out sticks.

I would first start by removing the one you bought recently, and see how it goes. If it seems ok, do the same with the other stick.

3. ratchet

ratchet

Welcome to TSG.

I agree with EvileYe.

I would remove the new Ram for a few cold boots and see if the problem reoccurs.

Some Mother Boards only except matched sets, I have had one of those boards what a pain. Memory test programs test the ram not compatibility.

To get a better idea of what you have and what you need try Everest Home Edition , under Mother Board/SPD you will find detailed specs for ram installed.

I buy my ram form Crucial.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Cold boot problems that go away after the first boot are often caused by a poor quality / under powered power supply. The reason is that the capacitors are discharged after a while. When you restart after a failed attempt, they are at full charge.

I agree that you should check your ram. Some ram chips like a higher voltage than others. With two different chips, this can be a problem. I use ram from the same mfg; either crucial or kingston. I have seen ram return many errors on memtest86; when the ram voltage was upped to 2.6 from 2.5 all of the errors stopped.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice