1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Irql_not_less_or_equal blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ChunkyTeXas, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChunkyTeXas

ChunkyTeXas Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 13 and after getting a virus I reinstalled Vista. Install goes fine, drivers too, but once I update Windows I get a blue screen saying "Irql_not_less_or_equal" apon reboot. Once in safe mode I was shown this:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: a
    BCP1: 00000000656C6473
    BCP2: 000000000000000C
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: FFFFF80001C636B3
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041110-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-150369-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB940.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Any idea?

Thank you very much.

2. etranger

etranger

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is usually just a case of overheating or a memory error. Try not to keep the system really hot for a prolonged period of time (This has happened to me a lot). If that requires replacing the CPU fan, then do it, although just avoiding excessive heat to build up on your laptop will do fine.

If not, try posting the minidump file (C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041110-01.dmp) to see if the problem could be narrowed down.

3. etranger

etranger

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The error type does not really exclude anything, but sometimes a bugcheck analysis will reveal a specific non-windows faulting driver -- or else give other clues as to the source. Security programs are often a good bet for this type error especially after updates or installs that are not "clean" installs.

If it follows a "clean" install you should be looking at hardware issues such as faulty memory or overheating (mostly if it occurs under high stress situations).

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

On Vista and Win7 you can run mdsched.exe -- once rebooted to the scanner press F1 for Advanced options and run the "extended" tests.

Another, some think better, program that can be used on all operating systems is memtest86

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice