1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

irql_not_less_or_equal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sto0, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Hi, I am re-installing windows XP on a different computer.. a Pentium 4 3.00ghz. Before attempting the re-install winxp would crash on the machine with a :

irql_not_less_or_equal
    STOP:
    0x0000000a (0x80585f07, etc

I attempted to re-install windows xp on the machine, everything went fine untill about mid-way through the installation of the files, when the computer crashed with the same error.

I was having problems with my second hard drive, a maxtor 60 gb, so I disconnected this from the machine and tried again.. the setup seemed to get a little further but then crashed again with the irql_not_less_or_equal error.

Now Im trying to load winxp in safe mode, but I can only go back to the windows installation screen.. which just crashes. IM STUCK.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. bbearren

bbearren

Physically uninstall any hardware that is not necessary for the machine to boot (printer, sound card, NIC, etc.), go into BIOS and choose the default settings (but make sure you can boot from CD), then try again.

3. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

I've disconnected all unessecary hardware, then entered BIOS and set all defaults.. rebooted and tried again :

as before, while the winxp installation is "Installing Devices.." it crashes.. irql_not_less_or_equal .. it makes it about 75% of the way through installation of devices before this occurs.

4. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
  5. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Well the main issue now is, the setup has gone so far that I can't cancel it from the menu.. and if I try to boot into safemod or back to the last known good configuration it tells me I cannot and must go back to Windows Setup.

also im unsure of how to turn off caching and shadowing as suggested at that site..

6. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
  7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You most likely have hardware issues. Have you considered downloading the disk manufacturer's diagnostic and running it? Next, I'd run a memory test for a couple of hours.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

8. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Well I've managed to get a little further, But the setup has paused stating :

"The file a3d.dll on Install disk is needed."

i've browsed around and cannot locate this file.. anyone else encountered this problem?

9. JohnWill

That's a required file. I really think that you need to do some hardware diagnostics here. Any time I've had issues like this installing Windows, it turned out to be a hardware problem. Of course, it could also be a bad CD, is this a distribution CD or one that you burned?

10. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

I will try doing diagnostic tests, how would I go about doing this? I mean.. I can't even get out of the Windows XP Setup.

Would I do the tests for the maxtor hard drive? Please explain for me.. (Thanks!)

11. bbearren

bbearren

Some motherboards need their drivers installed before you get very far into the Windows installation. Fairly early in the routine you are offered a chance to press F6 to install any special drivers before continuing.

The fact that it is an IRQ error you're getting points to hardware pretty definitively. Can you give us some more specs on your PC?

12. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

pc specs:

P4 3.00ghz
    ASUS p4p800 motherboard
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    GE Force FX
    DVD Rom & DVD/CD RW Drive
    running Windows XP Pro (sp2)

I will check the ASUS website and download the drivers, see if that helps.

13. sto0

sto0 Thread Starter

Is it possible to disable caching and shadowing with the asus p4p800? I cannot find that option anywhere in CMOS.

14. bbearren

bbearren

I doubt that's an option. Caching and shadowing are performance tweaks from days gone by, and most modern motherboards don't support it because there's no performance to be gained.

15. JohnWill

The diagnostics I mention all run from their own boot disk, no Windows required. I really think that's where you should start.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice