1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

irratic frame rates

Discussion in 'Games' started by stingraysp22, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stingraysp22

stingraysp22 Thread Starter

Primarily recognized with my MVP baseball 2005 game, I've been trying to make the game have good performance with my seemingly out-of-date geforce 5500 card. When vertical sync is on, I have to play on absolute crappiest settings. When I turn it off, I can turn up the graphics and it won't be choppy, but the FPS jumps anywhere from 40-80 during normal gameplay and sometimes the game looks like it's fast-forwarding. Is there a way to keep the vertical sync off but to stabilize the framerate?

2. GripS

GripS

System specs are usually helpful when troubleshooting this kind of issue. I would start off with making sure you are using the latest drivers for your video card.

3. stingraysp22

well it appears I didn't have the most recent driver update, but I downloaded the new one and that didn't fix it...if anything it seems to have made the FPS go up...it's around 120-130 during gameplay...which is rediculous

4. GripS

GripS

System specs please.

5. stingraysp22

erating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Dimension 3000
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 510MB RAM
    Page File: 392MB used, 600MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce FX 5500
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0326&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9131 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 6/1/2006 17:22:00, 4529408 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 6/1/2006 17:22:00, 3925920 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4066-11CF-1B40-0A2000C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0326
    SubSys ID: 0x00000000
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Disabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

6. GripS

GripS

See if turning off hyperthreading helps at all. YOU WANT more frames per second. Higher is better so you shouldn't be complaining about that. My concern is when you say the game plays in fast forward or too fast. Otherwise i don't see a problem. V-Sync on will reduce frame rates as it keeps the frames capped at whatever your vertical refresh rate is set to. 60fps for 60hz or 75fps for 75hz and so on. When I was using a CRT I found 85hz to be the sweet spot. The higher the refresh rate on CRT's the better in keeping up with the frames the video card is pumping out. I hope all that makes sense to you.

7. stingraysp22

That mostly makes sense...I understand that higher FPS is good, but the reason I turned off the V-sync was because my games are choppy at any graphics settings when V-sync is on....when I turn it off, the choppiness goes away, but then yeah, the fast forward thing goes on. Let me try the hyperthreading thing and see if that helps...is that one of those things I need to do at the startup?
    One last question...my computer says that 75hz is the max refresh rate my moniter can handle...is that just a cautious suggestion and should I turn it to 85?

8. GripS

GripS

To be honest a 5500 is a pretty out of date card so it's not going to run the latest games smoothly on anything above 'low' settings at a low resolution.

Hyperthreading is enabled by default in the BIOS. At boot you should see a prompt saying "Hit XXX to enter setup". XXX can be 'delete' 'esc' or 'F1' being the most common methods.

9. stingraysp22

I'll admit that turning off hyperthreading may have helped run the games so slightly better, but the original problem still persists...if nothing else at least I have slightly better gameplay on vertical sync.

10. GripS

GripS

Regarding the refresh rate. You DON'T want to set it higher then it's highest supported rate. You will damage the monitor. Maybe not right away but it will kill it over time. I speak from experience.:D

11. stingraysp22

Well lucky me now I'm having some other computer problems...I have great virus protection with symantec and others like ad-aware, spybot, bazooka....anyways for about 3 days straight now svchost.exe has been hoarding my CPU usage...usually jumping between 80 and 100%....my cpu usage graph is not pretty, haha. Is there something I could have done in trying to clean up my comp that would have made it worse? ..or do I have a virus that all programs are missing?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice