1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Irritating problem that I have yet to solve...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Southern_Smoke, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Southern_Smoke

Southern_Smoke Thread Starter

Hey everyone, how's it going?

Not so good for me, but hopefully will be better. I've been gaming a lot more as of late, but can't enjoy playing CS:CZ because of lag. I've seen this computer perform really well, while the graphics looked very nice. I know my computer has the potential to do that again, but what happened? I lag so much, and everything is glitchy. When I go to hardware, and search for updated drivers.. it says I already have the most updated drivers, which I find hard to believe. I don't think it's my internet connection because I've had no problem with this before, and I've seen how well my computer can perform. No one has yet to help me solve this problem, and I'm hoping this forum might be the one. I've tried asking on steampowered.com, but no help what so ever.

My specs are:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this enough info for someone to maybe help me fix this problem. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

2. Cybershaman

Cybershaman

Hey, bud! You came to the right place! :) A couple of questions though...
    -what are your system specs again? it doesn't look like they came through...
    -what drivers are you searching for specifically? video? we need to know your card's make and model and then we can point you to the right place to get the latest drivers.
    -i don't know how to put it but something you're saying implies that it's been a while since you last played your game. is everything else running ok? can you play other games without any problems?
    -it's just a guess but it could be something simple like a cooling issue. is the inside of of your case pretty clean and are all of your fans spinning properly?

let the troubleshooting begin! :)

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As Cybershaman has said, we can't see your system specs for some reason, try using this: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Your drivers may well be out of date, I get the impression you are relying on Windows to tell you if there are updates? If that is the case you may well be well out of date because Windows normally is with 3rd party drivers. Its always better to go directly to the PC or hardware manufacturers site to get the updates yourself.

Once we have your full specs and you have checked the points raised by Cybershaman we can move on to getting an answer for you.

4. Southern_Smoke

Thank you for the replies. My specs are:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152624 MB, Free - 118512 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KY767, , .JX9J2F1.CN486437A96778.
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I went to control panel>hardware>device manager>update drivers>display. It says that it's already up to date, but I'm not sure.

5. Southern_Smoke

Anyone? :|

6. Southern_Smoke

:(

Are there any other sites that I can go to that may help me?

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Does the computer do everything else well besides gaming? It doesn't look like a computer that would be good at gaming. I don't know how demanding CS:CZ is (not sure what game that is, Counter Strike?) but it seems like your computer with Vista running on it, which is more demanding than both XP and Win 7 to run in support of gaming, is just not up to the task of gaming.
    Maybe take a look at the Alienware branch of Dells to see what their lowest spec. is for a gaming laptop and compare. I only use desktops for gaming so I'm not positive, but many Steam games put a little stress even on my older desktop gaming rigs.

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    First things I would say is don't use Windows to update drivers as it is normally well out of date and won't provide you with the latest versions, go direct to Dell or failing that to the card manufacturers website. I would go through Dell first (assuming its a Dell machine based on the motherboard you have listed), use the service tag number on your machine and get all the latest drivers for it and install them.

You need to have a look at what other processes are running in the background, 2Gb of RAM isn't alot as far as Vista is concerned. I would imagine the 448Mb RAM the graphics is using is actually shared, so take that off the 2Gb available to the system, then you have essential system processes that have priority access to RAM. After all that, you are probably looking at only about 1Gb available for general use, that certainly isn't going to help you.

You say the computer has performed really well in the past, is that playing CS:CZ or other games?

The Intel integrated graphics chips are weak as far as gaming is concerned, infact most integrated cards are pretty weak but there isn't much you can do about that in a laptop. Have you tried running the game at lower resolutions or with reduced effects to see what sort of improvements you can achieve?

If the laptop is a bit old, it might be worth getting some canned air and giving the vents a good blast out. Dust will build up which inturn increases heat which will reduce performance.

9. Cybershaman

Cybershaman

So! We are dealing with a laptop here! OK... The idea here I think is to KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid...

While cooling and driver updates might certainly be an issue let's try to look at the basics here: Your game ran fine before and now it isn't. Let's think about what has happened in the interim. I think Tanis is on the right track. The video card your laptop has is probably depending allot on the system memory. System memory is also tied to your hard drive via virtual memory. So... Even though it seems that you have plenty of free space left on your hard drive, when was the last time you defragmented it?

However, the more I think about it, that might not really be the source of your problem even though defragmenting might help. I would be willing to bet that over time you have installed a few programs. While 2 gigabytes seems to be allot of memory it really isn't. Many programs nowadays often install resident services that should run in the background without any problem. However, when you run something as intensive as a game every little bit counts. I remember once installing Nero and having my games suffer as a result. It turns out that the program installed a service that constantly indexed all of the files on my hard drives and the constant activities caused my games, online and off, to stutter. So... Have you installed any new programs after the time that your game ran fine that might be doing things even when you think they aren't running?

Also, like fairnooks and the rest of us have said, does everything else including other games run fine? Keep in mind that the solution is probably something simple, we all just need some more clues. I hope this helps! Rock on... :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice