1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is 3Com 24-switch necessary or typical switch will do?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by classicalboy, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. classicalboy

classicalboy Thread Starter

We are moving to a new office location. The guys who will be setting our network is proposing the following equipment:

1. 3Com 24-port 10/100 mbps switch
    2. 24-port Patch panel
    3. 6u data cabinet
    4. 1u cable management

The new office will be a 2-floor building with around 40 computers. I asked some of my friends who are more expert on network setup and told me typical switch (Linksys, Cisco) will do if we need to save some money.

What do you think? Thanks a lot!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, first off, I'd be specifying a gigabit switch for expandability, I can't see investing in a 10/100 switch in 2010! If you don't need a managed switch, or need to save money initially, and unmanaged switch will probably be significantly cheaper.

In point of fact, if you want to go really cheap, you can get away for less than $100! :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...igabit switch&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

3. classicalboy

classicalboy Thread Starter

Hey John thank you so much for the quick reply!

Actually, I don't think we need a managed switch. Not all 40 computers need internet access and network is primarily for file sharing, printer sharing, internal chat, and that's it. Currently I am managing internet access through the wireless router interface and it is enough for the time being.

Cost is not the main factor. I just want to get something fairly enough based on our requirements. We do need very stable LAN connection when people are accessing the file server. My boss told me we can invest on good equipment.

Thanks again!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice