1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is 4GB RAM 4x1GB or 2x2GB ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robrobbery, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robrobbery

robrobbery Thread Starter

Real newbie question I know, but I'm buying a new laptop and it comes with 2GB RAM included in the price. I already own two 1GB RAM chips so I was wondering if I could insert those into the new laptop to make a total of 4GB RAM. But then I thought it might only have 2 ports for inserting RAM, each port allowing either a 1GB chip or a 2GB chip (if such a thing exists).

The specs on the laptop say "Up to 4GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM" . Does this mean that there are only 2 RAM ports? And if so, can I still insert my own 1GB RAM chip to make 3GB ?

Thanks in advance.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Laptops normally only have two ram slots.
    You could try one of the 1G ram but don't be surprised if it does not work as laptops can be very picky about what ram is used

3. robrobbery

Even the laptops with a max of 4 Gb RAM?

So you mean it probably only has two slots and it might only accept 2Gb RAM chips of a specific kind?

4. BG-0

BG-0

It might accept any capacity of a chip, but just certain kinds of let's say 512, 1 GB, 2 GB chips.

5. sup2a

sup2a

it might already have 2X1Gb stick in it, my Auntie's Macbook pro did you had to take them both out and replace with 2X2Gb

6. robrobbery

That sounds likely - my own 1GB chips are useless in that case. It will cost extra to get 3 or 4 gigs. I suppose it can't be helped.

Thanks for the replies.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice