Is 4k laptop really worth it on 15.6" screen?

linuxnoob

I am buying a new laptop, I see a lot of fuss around 4K and FHD.
Is 4k really worth it on 15.6 inch screen?
I don't video edit, not much of Netflix either.
Just programming and a lot of Youtube or Coursera.
no gaming, maybe movies sometimes, but I haven't seen 4k movies really.

So, is 4K really worth it? I am getting a laptop with all other specs (ram, size, processor..) for about $1000 with FHD but might have to shell another $250-$300 or more for 4K.

Gr3iz

Mark
My vote is no. If you don't need it, save the $$. With a screen that small, you probably wouldn't notice enough difference to be worth while ... IMHO

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I haven't looked into how 4k is implemented in PC hardware such as laptops. And I also used to subscribe to the don't need all that resolution mindset. But when I dug into what 4k can bring, I realized there is an important feature I have been missing out on. It's HDR (high dynamic range).

HDR brings to the table a bigger color palette as it supports 10bits. Along with that, the spec improves light output where screens can output as high as 5000 nits. All of these improvements also means better contrast which humans are very sensitive to.

So the answer is it depends. If the hardware in question can support HDR, then paying extra for 4k is worth it. I saw the difference when my Samsung smart phones came out with HDR support with their built in cameras. The differences between pictures taken with HDR and without are dramatic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online