1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is 8.1 good? Can I make it like Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AlwaysScrewed, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlwaysScrewed

AlwaysScrewed Thread Starter

My mom put a computer in layaway when we went to Walmart today that has Windows 8.1.

So what I want to know is pretty simple and it's right there in the thread title. Is Windows 8.1 good? I didn't hear a lot of good things about 8. No Start button for starters. Is 8.1 the same or did they fix it? I know pretty much next to nothing about Windows 8.1.

When I find the time I'll be Googling "How to use Windows 8.1" I guess... *sighs*

However... I saw on another forum that there's a way to make Windows 8/Windows 8.1 to work like Windows 7. Is this true? If so... how do you do it? Because if there's a way to do that, I'll do it just so I'm not immediately confused by the "chaos" of Windows 8.1 I guess?

So I guess all I really need help with here is if Windows 8.1 is actually good or not and if there's a way to make Windows 8.1 like Windows 7 and if there is, how do you do it?

I would seriously appreciate any help anyone here could give me with this.

Thank you.

2. renegade600

renegade600

there is a free utility called classic shell where you can get most of your win7 look back. It works great.

http://www.classicshell.net/

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  4. AlwaysScrewed

I don't actually have the computer yet but thanks.

TerryNet: I looked at that tutorial a little... but... can it help me make Windows 8.1 like Windows 7?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you read the second paragraph under INTRO?

6. AlwaysScrewed

I should've waited before making that post sorry. I did. I read it more thoroughly.

I have another question. It says that Windows firewall and Windows Defender is "sufficient security". How exactly do you know that? Can it prevent viruses, spyware, malware, etc.?

Right now I'm using Avast and Comodo Firewall on my Windows 7 laptop. Should I not use that on Windows 8.1 and just use the Windows firewall and Defender?

I just want to be safe and make sure that it'll prevent me from getting infected from viruses, spyware, malware, etc. you know?

7. renegade600

renegade600

the choice of antiviruses and other antimalware utilites is usually a personal choice. IMO, there is no best one in spite of what you see in reviews. There is nothing you can install that will prevent everything. Use what makes you feel safe and keeps you safe. In win8.1 Windows Defender was changed to include microsoft security essentials. IMO you will always need a companion utility such as the free version of malwarebytes no matter the antivirus you use.

On my window installs, I use Windows Defender(MSE) and Malwarebytes. That is all I need and has always kept me safe. If you feel more comfortable using avast and comodo, then go for it. make sure Windows Defender is disable before installing avast.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As renegade600 said no one or combination of programs can provide 100% protection.

9. AlwaysScrewed

Is Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials free? If so, I can at least try it. It'll save me the hassle of having to install Avast again.

Does SpyBot Search & Destroy work for Windows 8.1? I use that too and I like it. What about the firewall? Is using the Windows one a good idea or should I use Comodo again?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I doubt that any firewall is better than the one in Windows 8.1. And, for sure, the others cause more problems.

There was a time that I used Spybot Search & Destroy (before it started to sneak in TeaTimer), but I haven't allowed it near my computers for many years. I have no idea about how compatible or incompatible it is with 8.1.

Windows Defender is part of Windows 8/8.1. It is no longer the lame anti-spyware-only thing in previous versions of Windows. It is, in fact, Microsoft Security Essentials.

11. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

I would suggest using the Classic Shell as mentioned above. I've been using Windows 8.1 for a year now and have grown to like it. You have more options. It'll take some getting used to but I think she'll be happy with it.

12. AlwaysScrewed

Let me just make sure I understand this right so I don't forget anything.

Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus
    Windows Firewall for firewall
    MalwareBytes Free

^^^That's really all I'll need for virus, spyware, malware, etc. protection?

13. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are the same thing in Windows 8.1.

14. renegade600

renegade600

that is really all you need. The rest is up to you and your surfin habits.

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It doesn't matter which antivirus, firewall, malware/spyware, etc. programs you use.

If your computing and maintenance habits aren't good, you'll have issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice