Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is a 500w psu enough for this system?

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi
I have a core i9 9900k desktop with a 1660 super graphics card. My power is a coolermaster 500w 80+ bronze. Am I going to have problems with the power supply?

#2 ·
Exactly which model Coolermaster PSU is it?

Coolermaster make varying quality units; warranty is a good 'rule of thumb' to use when looking at PSUs especially for a gaming PC. You want to be looking for PSUs with at least 5 years warranty, preferably 10 years. More warranty implies better quality which is an important (and often overlooked) factor.

The GTX 1660 Super needs a minimum of 450w and that should be a good quality unit, going higher wattage wont hurt and can be favourable as the PSU doesn't have to work so hard which will increase its lifespan.

#3 ·
Thanks for the explanation.
I'm not really sure about the model because it is a hp omen obelisk desktop. I think the model is "cooler master PSU 500W l84091".

In fact i upgraded the cpu from i7 9700 to i9 9900 and now I'm not sure if it is still enough.

#4 ·
Run some tests on the system. Since this is a hp and not a performance motherboard like an asus, asrock, etc, there is probably no monitoring software to monitor voltages. You can try using something like hwinfo64 to monitor voltages. Run something that will stress the system like OCCT [which has monitoring software built in] prime95, etc. See if your voltages drop under a load.

#5 ·
Sure I'll give that a try tnx

I'm a noob and not really familiar with the process so it might take me a while to do the test

One more thing... Is it normal that the fan inside the psu regularly keeps spinning and stopping? Mostly when I'm not doing something heavy with it

#6 ·
Many pw supplies have a fan that only runs when the unit gets warm. Seasonic units have done this for years. You may have a switch on the back of the pw supply that enables/disables this feature. I have never heard of a coolermaster that does this however that does not mean that it does not exist.

#8 ·
Unfortunately I'm not sure about the exact product ID because I bought a used one.
But I think it was an hp omen obelisk 875 (0034) and:
-CPU upgraded from i7-9700 to i9-9900k
-GPU changed from 1660 ti to 1660 super
-RAM upgraded from 16 GB to 2x16 GB (32GB)
-SSD upgraded from 256 GB to 512 GB
+ 2TB HDD

#9 ·
HP OMEN Obelisk 875-0034 Desktop PC (product specs)
Its product number is 4NN43AA and it was introduced in May 2019.
It originally come with an Intel Core i7-9700 CPU.

Can you confirm if you upgraded to an Intel Core i9-9900 or an Intel Core i9-9900K CPU?
In post #3, you say it's a i9-9900, but in posts #1 and #8 you say it's a i9-9900K.
The i9-9900 is listed as a supported CPU, but the i9-9900K is not.

It originally come with a 500W PSU.
No brand name or model number is listed.

-------------------------------------------------

#11 ·
If your board does not list a 9900K as supported, it may or may not work correctly. Again being a hp, you would not be able to take advantage of the unlocked K processor. The K has a base feq of 3.6gig and the non K has a base feq of 3.1gig. See if it runs at the correct speed.

Just my opinion however attempting to upgrade a dell, hp, etc is very often an exercise in futility. HP motherboards just do not have the heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, extra chipset cooling, steel video card slot. You find these things in a performance motherboard.

#12 ·
Ironically, when looking at user benchmarks the GTX1660Ti actually scores better overall than the GTX1660 Super even though its an older card, although the 1660 Super is a little better in a few areas.

UserBenchmark: Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti vs 1660S (Super)

The Cooler Master PSU 500W L84091 (assuming that is what it is) is a low end (cheap) PSU and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it in anything other than the system it came in without any upgrades.

The GPU change will likely not make much difference as they are so similar and both require the same minimum 450w PSU.

However, the CPU change (assuming it is the 9900k) will require more power (TDP of 95W compared to 65W for the 9700). However, again its not a really significant upgrade and given it they are operating on a mass produced motherboard I don't think you will see much benefit. Thats notwithstanding the potential compatibility problem as the i9-9900k is not officially supported.

UserBenchmark: Intel Core i7-9700 vs i9-9900K

#14 · (Edited)
My guess [and it is only a guess] is that the processor will run at the lower speed. Since the motherboard only supports 65W processors, there is a very good possibility that he will have pw regulation problems. That processor can draw up to 46% more pw than the motherboard is rated to supply.....
This will cause the system to be unstable, processor errors, etc.

Another reason to not attempt to upgrade a big box system.

#17 ·
Probably better off spending the money on a decent motherboard and case. Use the 9900K and he would have a much better upgrade path. An i9 9900 is $370 on newegg. For that money he can get a quality motherboard and case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.