1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is a backup partition necessary?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by melias, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melias

melias Thread Starter

a coworker brought in her laptop that was running painfully slowly. it's a compaq presario with an upgrade of windows me on it and a 4 GB harddrive. it has a 1+ GB C: drive and a 2+ GB D: SYSTEM_SAVE drive with everything mirrored as backup. both drives are about 3/4 full. i speeded things up a lot by removing much of the crap from start-up, but am still wondering if there's any reason we shouldn't delete that backup drive. can we just dump everything off it, or will it automatically back up anything put onto the C: drive? she doesn't remember intentionally putting anything onto the D: partition. the laptop is part of her home network and she has backed up important files on her other computer. thanks,
    ~melias

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The D: or system save partition is particular to the Compaq install Cds- you cannot restore from the disks (if the laptop came with any) if you remove that partition...and, ..if you do not have disks to restore from....you may very well need that partition!!WinME also uses what is known as System Restore, as you probably know...this feature can be turned off, which may result in a better performance, coupled with what you are doing- pruning down Startups. You can find info on the Compaq Restore partition at the Compaq support area. Win ME Help screen has link to read about turning off ME's System Restore feature.
    If by accident the Sys Save partition is damated or fdisked....there is a way to reinstall it, available from Compaq.
    Of course, you can format the hard drive, which removes all data....and reinstall some version of Windows, same as any pc.
    The critical thing is the Restore Cds....they wont work without the automatically created extra partition.
    EDIT+ went back and reread- was the ME upgrade bought through Compaq?
    Here is the main support page- from this, you can find relevant info. http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice