Is a custom made "shutdown" shortcut button safe to use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hotskates

I made a desktop shortcut that I am using to shutdown the computer at the end of the day. Is it safe to use "shutdown" this way or is it better to go through the 2 extra steps: Start, Turn Off Computer, and Shutdown? It seems to work fine shutting down from the shortcut, I just don't want to damage the computer.

For the shortcut I used this command: shutdown -s -t 0 -c "hi"

Does the computer go thu the saving settings or is that shortcut a fast shut down?

hotskates

Does the computer go thu the saving settings or is that shortcut a fast shut down?
Yes it goes through the saving settings. I'm pretty sure its shutting down exactly the same way as if I go the longer shutdown route.........just wondered if anyone had made this shortcut and if it was really o.k. to use.

If the computer does not go thru a chkdsk during bootup everytime you boot then the shut down is ok, When ever you shutdown the computer the wrong way say by just pulling the power plug it goes thru chkdsk to verify the drive, if this is not happening you are all set....

Hi,

I've used the shutdown shortcut you used (minus the last 2 elements) on my XP Home machine for the last couple of years without any problems.

hotskates

Hi,

I've used the shutdown shortcut you used (minus the last 2 elements) on my XP Home machine for the last couple of years without any problems.
Thats good to know!
Thanks yipee:)

just adding a comment here...

using shutdown /s /f /t 00 or any variation thereof will not cause any problems what-so-ever to your machine. i use shutdown /r /f /m \\computer /t 00 to remotely restart/shutdown servers at my job day in and day out... that's what it is made for.

same as the logoff command, they perform the exact same functions that the "pretty" start menu buttons do for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online