1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is a custom made "shutdown" shortcut button safe to use?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hotskates, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I made a desktop shortcut that I am using to shutdown the computer at the end of the day. Is it safe to use "shutdown" this way or is it better to go through the 2 extra steps: Start, Turn Off Computer, and Shutdown? It seems to work fine shutting down from the shortcut, I just don't want to damage the computer.

For the shortcut I used this command: shutdown -s -t 0 -c "hi"

2. artimus

artimus

Does the computer go thu the saving settings or is that shortcut a fast shut down?

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Yes it goes through the saving settings. I'm pretty sure its shutting down exactly the same way as if I go the longer shutdown route.........just wondered if anyone had made this shortcut and if it was really o.k. to use.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the computer does not go thru a chkdsk during bootup everytime you boot then the shut down is ok, When ever you shutdown the computer the wrong way say by just pulling the power plug it goes thru chkdsk to verify the drive, if this is not happening you are all set....

5. yipee2

yipee2

Hi,

I've used the shutdown shortcut you used (minus the last 2 elements) on my XP Home machine for the last couple of years without any problems.

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Thats good to know!
    Thanks yipee:)

7. snowmunky

snowmunky

just adding a comment here...

using shutdown /s /f /t 00 or any variation thereof will not cause any problems what-so-ever to your machine. i use shutdown /r /f /m \\computer /t 00 to remotely restart/shutdown servers at my job day in and day out... that's what it is made for.

same as the logoff command, they perform the exact same functions that the "pretty" start menu buttons do for you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice