1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is a Gtx 280 going to bottleneck a amd 5600?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IamDan, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

Im trying to upgrade my computer to play world in conflict, empire:total war, warcraft, etc... and need to figure out how to effectively upgrade my graphics processing power. I am a noob so if this is stupid forgive me lol.

2. Compiler

Compiler

So you're concerned that a GF-280 going to be too slow for your 5600?

The way to say, is the GF280 going to be bottle necked BY the AMD x2 5600, perhaps.

Well, that depends on what you have now. Also, you may need a power supply upgrade.

This benchmark screen, all of these CPUs should be using the GTX280. Top end AMD X4 and intel Quads are 126~133fps in Left 4 Dead. Your CPU is 82fps... http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/48

If your 5600 is an AM2+ type type CPU and your motherboard is standard (Not an HP), you maybe able to upgrade your PC with a quad core CPU.

Note: newer AMD X2 CPUs are scoring 110~115fps.

3. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

Yes, you worded the question right for me, thanks.
    The exact details of the processor are AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor. My computer is an HP so i assume the motherboard is as well, if hp refers to the name brand... Does this mean an upgrade to the cpu is not possible? How is an upgrade made to a cpu?
    The computer is about a year old, so might fall into the newer amd x2 cpu category you specified.
    Also, I have a larger power supply ordered right now, it is indeed needed.
    Thanks much.

4. Compiler

Compiler

"AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor" is not an exact detail... that describes any AMD X2 CPU. What matters is what type of motherboard you have... its most likely has the Nvidia 6150 chipset and your limited to AM2 CPUs... which theres almost nothing left and even AM2+ CPUs are in short supply. At best, if your HP could handle the AMD Athlon X2 7850, it would only add about 10~15fps to your games. Not worth the $55.

This is why HPaqs, Dells, Gateways are fine for everyday stuff. For gaming or other intensive things and upgrades, they are more difficult to work with.

Keep your original HP PSU... so you can use your new PSU for a future computer. Also, for high-end gaming card - they should have a quality PSU. A $25 550watt PSU are worse than $45 380watt quality PSU. Brands such as Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair make up the short list.

5. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

6. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

Is a processor upgrade as easy as removing and replacing?
    Do I have to install different RAM?
    Im looking at Intel i7s on eBay... good idea?
    Thank you for your help. My noobness is unacceptable lol

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An i7 would require a new motherboard, RAM, Windows license key, and likely a new case. In some cases its simply better to sell a complete pre-built system and start from scratch.

You'd have to stick with AMD AM2 processors that are supported by HP if you only wanted to drop in a new CPU, which as mentioned may not be a viable option.

8. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

9. helpful

helpful

10. helpful

helpful

11. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

Does the psu have to be the combined total of the cpu and the gpu? Intel i7 requires 130 W for thermal design power and the gpu requires 550W. Can the 630 W PSU handle this? Thanks.

12. helpful

helpful

The gpu does not require 550W by itself, that is an estimation of the total power including other components in the system.

For video cards examine the Amp requirement, and make sure your power supply can support the stated amount the 12 V rails.

If the video card only shows the "watts" add up all the amps on the 12 V rails and times by 12 to get on the total watts of power available to the video card and compare the number to requirement of the video card..

13. Compiler

Compiler

IamDan...

You've got some problems. First of all, cancel the order on the junk PSU... its not compatible with your video card. Its junk and I don't think it has proper connectors to work with any high end video card. Call them up, refuse the UPS packager.. whatever.

There is NO info on that PSU, no name brand, no stats... nothing.

- You cannot upgrade your CPU to the reasons I stated, older design and its an HP.

So get a real PSU... something that won't damage the GF280. That'll be $50~80. (more later )

You're mixing parts and DON'T buy anything from ebay. Stop buying stuff and ask around here for help.

You're looking at a WHOLE system upgrade.
    CPU
    Memory
    Motherboard
    case
    PSU (a real one)
    Windows licence

I also gave you the link: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/48 which shows you DON'T need to spend $350~450 for an i7 CPU & motherboard. A $100 AMD CPU and $85 motherboard will do fine.

So figure out how much you want to spend on this, first. Then you can also look at selling your HP.

14. helpful

helpful

The information specs for the GTX 280 state "Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 236 Watts" so you would need at least 19.7 Amps on the 12 Volt rail (add a little more to be safe).

The no name power supply stats state 26A (312 watts) on the 12 V rail. I strongly suggest that you go with Compiler suggestion and use a better power supply.

Also have you already bought that video card? That is an older NVIDIA series and AMD 5000 series and NVIDIA 400 series are newer with Directx 11 support and better performance.

15. IamDan

IamDan Thread Starter

i can work with that distributer because i believe they sell the other name brands to which compiler referred, and will probably exchange one for another.

The reason that i am in this is because i already started mixing parts by buying the GPU from eBay. I am sorry if this is stupid, but this is what us noobs do, stupid things lol.

Ebay will not be so forgiving. I will not be able to return the $175 GPU. So that is why I am working around it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice