1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is a Labtop same as a desktop?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hamster, Dec 11, 2001.

Mark Solved
Advertisement
  1. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to puters and always wanted a laptop, but the thing is does it has the same power as it's Desktop brother??

I mean with the same stats// megahurtz and everything, does it work the same?? Or is the Desktop stronger because it is bigger??

thank you.

2. RandyG

RandyG

Laptops are not going to be as current in specs as desktops, but they can be pretty powerful.

There are different aspects to a laptop, depending on what you want to use it for. There are slimline ones that are used for school and briefcases. There are mid range ones that have slightly larger screens ideal for the working guy on the go. Then there are desktop replacement laptops. Generally a little heavier than a standard laptop, but with 15" screens, DVD, etc, they are handy.

One thing I can say, having a laptop that is a little better in spec than a desktop, the desktop still outperforms it. I believe this has something to do with the size and heat generated from the laptop, but not sure. I can say that if I had a choice between a laptop and desktop of the same spec, I would choose the dersktop because it would be less expensive and easier to upgrade.

3. littlemar

littlemar

RandyG
    I have to agree with RandyG. Laptops are good for the mobile person that needs access to his programs no matter where he goes, school, work, etc.

The problem would be to upgrade it or if a card goes bad. Memory and network cards are the only easy things to get to everything else is inside and even I won't work on laptops if something goes down. Part of my job is to work on computers and I'll send it out to people that work on laptops. Really a pain to work on.

:)

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

littlemar,

"and I'll send it out to people that work on laptops. Really a pain to work on."

When you have the chance can I please get a PO# from you so that I can send this one in?
    It just needs a new HD, and the one in it is about the size of a half of a Nestle's chocolate bar. :rolleyes:

DS

5. littlemar

littlemar

DS

Use PO # 12345 and please don't hold your breath getting it back any time soon. And is that HD with or without a byte. See what happens when I get to work at 6 AM, I'm even stranger then usual:D :D

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

littlemar,

"And is that HD with or without a byte?"....... LOL, hehe

It really is thin like as thick as a cassette tape (the thinest part)
    I've no clue how they can cram 4Gb in it.

Randy,

You are right on the $ with the heat generated thing on a laptop.
    They are a compromise at best. IMO

DS

7. Gibble

Gibble

The biggest problem with laptops is the heat. Because of all the heat generated they are usually a generation behind a desktop as far as speed, but they are twice the price :D

Also since laptops are not worth upgrading you need to buy a new one every year or two. Adding to the costs.

When buying laptops, and all computers for that matter, you have to remember that MHz is only a small part of the actuall speed of the computer.

Basically unless you want a laptop because its portable and you plan to use it like a laptop, its not worth it. Get a desktop.

8. Dark Star

Dark Star

Gibble,

Good mornin'....

"The biggest problem with laptops is the heat"

I'd bet the bank that is NO problem where you live at say 6:00AM OUTSIDE!!!!! LOL

DS

9. littlemar

littlemar

Hey DS
    You're more then welcome to come to Wisconsin to check out the outside at 6 AM. The laptops aren't the only ones without a heat problem at that time of day. Except I'm personally looking for any type of heat problem for myself.

10. Dark Star

Dark Star

littlemar,

"Except I'm personally looking for any type of heat problem for myself"

I'll bet you've no problem getting yourself in hot water when you want to...........maybe even when you don't want to as well. ?.......:rolleyes:

Kinda hard to drink out of those "blubber" thingys when it's 10 below heh? :p

DS

11. littlemar

littlemar

Hey, what can I say. But I can always talk my way out of anything.

As far as the bubbler - the only bad thing is when your tongue sticks to the faucet thingy.:D :D

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

hamster,

I'm pretty sure you've gotten the answers to your questions, just get a nice PC with what it is that you want in system specs, you can tailor the thing to your liking later on as far as the factory preloaded software is concerned.

I've heard alot of good things about XP and how stable it is.....hmmmmm IMO. I'll wait a bit longer 98se is fine for me at this time.

Of course buying new you are most likely gonna wind up with XP unless you can find you a Dell or comparable without XP and now may be the time to do just that........Compare apple to apples whenever you are shopping, and do not get caught up with the price break promos that include ISP contract and rebates.....Don't walk away from it......RUN AWAY!

Laptops........Only if you have the spare $2500.00 laying around and burning a hole in your pocket .........Get a desktop first.

.........Now if you don't mind we're about to RUN with this thread and who knows where we end up so jump in if you've any other questions........:D

DS

13. littlemar

littlemar

DS

I was just thinking along the same lines of suggesting what I thought would be better to start with. I also think the desktop would be the way to go.
    Way to go partner.

14. Dark Star

Dark Star

See there hamster, all this info and advice and not a word from you yet........

Please dont tell us you just signed up for 3 years with an ISP and got a "deal" on a no name lap top reg $1500.00 now $1100.00 with MSN rebate.

DS

15. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

Holy S............ Sugerplums!! eek!! I already have a 500 megahurtz computer but due to today standards it's slow. I only want a laptop cuz I also wanted that as a toy and not really to use it mainly as my source computer unit.

So I want a unit that's fast like 700 to 800 megahurtz, that should make me happy for a while, I mean there's only so much speed that you need!!

So I was just thinking If the power is the same as a regular Desktop. I always wanted a laptop as a TOY.

Its like sooo cool to have a high tech toy where I can lug it around!! But only if it has the same power as a regular desktop,

i like toys!! of course I only want to spend like 800 to 900 tops. There are deals times are tuff so I hope it drops some more!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice