is a network capable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jimiiii

:confused: Hi, it's the old Frog here again with another situation--------

I have moved back home to care for my 93 yr old Mom. All I brought with me was my computer tower. Is it possible to connect to the internet thru her computer or modem? She has a Dell 3000 we bought her for Christmas. She's on CableOne with a Motorola SB5100 series Surfboard cable modem provided by CableOne. Can I just unplug her wires and plug them into my computer or do I have to set up some sort of network? If so, how and what do I do. I haven't done anything yet because I didn't want to screw it up.........know what I mean?? :)

Also, if mine is hooked up I won't have the problem I'm having with her CDrom. I still haven't been able to resolve that issue yet.....short of calling out a computer repair guy and paying thru the nose.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Again thanks,

Chief Buzz

jimiiii said:
:confused: Hi, it's the old Frog here again with another situation--------

I have moved back home to care for my 93 yr old Mom. All I brought with me was my computer tower. Is it possible to connect to the internet thru her computer or modem? She has a Dell 3000 we bought her for Christmas. She's on CableOne with a Motorola SB5100 series Surfboard cable modem provided by CableOne. Can I just unplug her wires and plug them into my computer or do I have to set up some sort of network? If so, how and what do I do. I haven't done anything yet because I didn't want to screw it up.........know what I mean?? :)

Also, if mine is hooked up I won't have the problem I'm having with her CDrom. I still haven't been able to resolve that issue yet.....short of calling out a computer repair guy and paying thru the nose.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Again thanks,

Chief Buzz
you could buy a router so that her one modem can serve both pcz, basically you plug her modem into the router, and then plug the router into your two pcz (into the network card), then both of you can surf the network at the same time or whatever.

If you only need to use one at a time, you can just unplug her computer from the modem and plug yours in.
Otherwise you can pick up a router as brite said.

crjdriver

I would go with the router. In addition to being able to share the connection, the router will be a hardware firewall. IMO a hardware firewall is superior to software firewalls.

Here is a link to a linksys router they are down to $39.99

jimiiii

Thanks, Guys. I knew you guys would come thru............

And since we will never be using the computers at the same time, I like switching the plugs. I just thought there was a way to set up some sort of network, like for a small home based business where two computers are being used. but like you said, Brendan, we won't be using them at the same time, so KISS it--that always works, huh?

Peace- Chief

PS- this is basically resolved, but I would like to know if there is a way to network two home computers..........so, if anybody out there knows a way, I'd still like to hear from you.

jimiiii said:
Thanks, Guys. I knew you guys would come thru............

And since we will never be using the computers at the same time, I like switching the plugs. I just thought there was a way to set up some sort of network, like for a small home based business where two computers are being used. but like you said, Brendan, we won't be using them at the same time, so KISS it--that always works, huh?

Peace- Chief

PS- this is basically resolved, but I would like to know if there is a way to network two home computers..........so, if anybody out there knows a way, I'd still like to hear from you.
like we said a router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!