1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is a recovery disc and repair disc the same thing?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fevola25, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

For the first week or two using windaow 7 on my new computer, a little balloon regularly poped up saying do you want to make a recovery disc, if so you will need 3 dvd's, anyway, i want to do this now but the balloon doesnt ask me anymore, so I did as follows,

•In Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Backup and Restore

•In the left pane, click Create a system recovery disk

•Insert a blank CD in the DVD, and then click Create Disk

But this only took 1 dvd, not three like it originaly told me, have I done the right think, or is there another way I can create one using the 3 dvd's?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

It sounds like you made a "System Repair Disk." This will let you make some repairs for which you would normally use an installation DVD--for example, repairing the boot manager as I did yesterday. Also, if you "create a system image" and some day find your hard drive is trashed you can boot to the System Repair Disk and re-image the hard drive from your saved system image. Personally I use Macrium Reflect Free for this, as I don't quite trust that Microsoft got this right their first try.

You can use the Recovery partition to "recover" your system to the way it was when you first turned it on. That is, as long as the special boot manager is not damaged and the hard drive is not inoperable. So, it's best to make your one legal set of Recovery disks--the 3 DVDs required for Windows 7. You may think that you will do the system image mentioned above and not need this, but it's cheap insurance to make the DVDs. If and when you decide to sell, gift or donate the computer it would be good to 'Recover" it to factory defaults and hand the new owner the Recovery disks.

This feature--to create the 3 DVD Recovery set--will probably be "hidden" in some of the stuff your laptop manufacturer installed, and probably not found through Control Panel.

You may have some sketchy paper documentation with this info, or can find it on the manufacturer's web site, or if you tell us the brand somebody may have the answer.

3. fevola25

fevola25 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, the 3 dvd set is what I am wanting to make, I didnt think I made the correct one, I ahve had a look at the book that came with my computer, but all it tells me is how to set it up and how to clean it, It is an Acer desk top...

4. golddust

golddust

Your Acer should have a folder in All Programs called Acer; and, the Create Recovery Disks utility should be in there. You only get one try at this though so make sure you have more than the miniumum number of required disks - just in case you get a defective DVD disc (it happens). I have an Acer laptop and that was where it was. Once you make the discs, the utility will disappear from the list.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937172