1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is a touchscreen important on a Windows 8 laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Pinmac, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pinmac

Pinmac Thread Starter

How important is a touchscreen on a Windows 8 laptop? I am trying to choose a new laptop and find that is I want a touchscreen I can't have a hard drive bigger than 500Gb but if I don't I can get a 1Tb for less money. Obviously a touchscreen is not essential but having had a play with one in John Lewis it does look as if it would be easier to use. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what are you planning to use the 500GB for - you can buy a 1TB USB drive very cheaply to use for storage
    not sure about windows 8 and touch screen , as i have only used w8 with a mouse

3. Pinmac

Pinmac Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to say I would be using it for general browsing, photo and video editing. I do already have an external drive but like to have my data on the laptop hard drive and back it up tot the external hard drive and The Cloud so looking for a large hard drive.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not have touchscreen.
    The general views that I read, is that most people do not like it.
    It is great on tablets etc but has proved to most an unnecessary extra expense on a laptop

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6023/hp-spectre-xt-touchsmart-windows-8-toucshcreen-laptop-review
    If of course you are prepared to spend the money then you can simply order a Lenova, HP, or Dell touch smart that comes with a 500GB drive - with the larger drive

For instance

Part:
    C7F18AV UPC: 887111550880

Customizable
    HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15z-b000 Sleekbook

Have not searched UK site but on HP Com 1TB HDD is plus $50 on $650 and it is fitted with a 750GB to start witth.
    I feel sure UK as similar arrangements

5. robobobo

robobobo

I've got myslef and ASUS Zenbook u500 about a month back, I know a touchscreen version is coming out, but I didn't have the time to wait for it, so I settled with the regular one. For the first day or so I thought it would be cool to have a touchscreen, but the trackpad has all the touch gestures build into it. I swipe in from the right, left, top, I have two finger scrolling, pinch to zoom and rotate and 3 finger gestures. I can do everything I could do with a touchscreen, but from my touchpad. It's become second nature to me, and I don't miss not having a touchscreen at all.

If you're looking to actually do some work on your laptop and not spend your days aimlessly browsing the web and playing games from the app store, you should find a the touchpad with all the gestures quiet sufficient, and also quite productive in my opinion!

6. Pinmac

Pinmac Thread Starter

Thanks so much to you all. I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me out. I really wasn't sure about the touchscreen but was worried that I would regret not getting one. From the comments above and especially the rather cutting review of touchscreens on the review I think I can forget about touchscreen and concentrate on getting the best laptop I can find for my money. Thanks again.

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Pinmac
    It is a pleasure to help someone who is so clearly appreciative and really we have done so very little.

I would not wish you to be totally guided by the review I sent.

Ideally of course if the opportunity could present itself, you need to have an hour on a laptop with it and decide yourself how easy, awkward, beneficial or not it is.

Whatever thanks again for your kind remarks and when you do get it you may find these links of some benefit

one of mine
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8...yboard-shortcuts.html?highlight=shortcut+keys

and one of my colleagues TerryNet
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1084745-taming-windows-8-desktop-gui.html

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice